Ideas for a job on the side

Rodger Wilco

Hey who has a side gig outside of aviation?

I would like to get something else going that I can do part time on my own.

Don't get me wrong, I love my job. But it would be nice to stay busy while I am sitting home on reserve and to also have something to fall back on should anything interrupt my 121 vocation (I.e. Congress pass a bill, not pass my medical, airline goes bankrupt, ect...)

It would need to be very flexible and independent, something I can work on when I want to but I can put aside when I am busy flying.
Here are some ideas that I brainstormed;

Real estate
Trading options, stocks, that kind of thing
Storage unit business
Online sales of some sort
Selling jam at the farmers market (yeah right!) then again.... Maaaaybe......

Not sure how to make it all happen but I have decided that I would like to get something else going on the side eventually.

What has been your experience? What ideas do you have?

What do you know how to do?

For example - if you had an English or Jounalism background, you could contract copy-edit (or literary editing) on the side. Do you know how to do that?

What skills do you possess that would translate to a remote position?

I do construction. Mostly residential insurance work. Sometimes I make more than the airline gig. I used to hate it but ever since I started buying my own tools and getting good at a few things I love it. It also keeps my waistline down a bit. Otherwise I would just sit around on days off and get fatter than I am.

What do you know how to do?

For example - if you had an English or Jounalism background, you could contract copy-edit (or literary editing) on the side. Do you know how to do that?

What skills do you possess that would translate to a remote position?

Well at my previous job I did online sales for a small company. I would enjoy that but I have no idea how to get started. My previous employer built the company himself and he says the best way to get started is with about $500,000.... Sooo... That's not happening.

I have worked construction in the past, I could do it part time I guess..... But thats not really what I had in mind. I was thinking of something I could do remotely.

What I really need is part-time online. Then I can do it anywhere. Don't some of these online schools have counselor positions that just call up the students and see how they are doing and all? Like admission counsellors / guidance?

Last edited:
These may be of no help to you but are jobs that I have known flight instructors to do on the side.

Tax Preparation - very seasonal but typically the flying weather is not that good during the tax season in Oregon ( it has been below minimums all week)

Pumping Gas - No self-serve in Oregon. Not a great gig but it can fit most schedules.

Selling Cell Phones or Cable/Satellite TV plans - This seemed to be a pretty good gig with flexible hours and pretty good part time income.

The construction trades always offer something. (though I prefer inside work in the winter) Anyone with rental properties always needs something done. (maintenance, repair, improvement) Depending on where you are and what you do some form of license and bonding may be required.

I research this heavily because honestly, Pilot salaries can be rough starting out. That in mind some of my suggestions are for a Cargo Pilot, but they could apply to 121.

1. Web Design or Computer Programming
2. Uber or Car Service
3. Any skilled trade you can do on your own.
4. Aerial Photography with a UAV
5. Translator
6. Remote Monitoring or Security

Plenty of ideas you can do with all the free time.

Mortgage loan officer seems to be a good gig. One of my loan officers is an FO at a major airline, most of his loans are for various airlines employees.

Hey who has a side gig outside of aviation?
I would like to get something else going that I can do part time on my own...It would need to be very flexible and independent, something I can work on when I want to but I can put aside when I am busy flying.
...What has been your experience? What ideas do you have?
Are you any good at artwork?
I've started doing a little bit here and there when the mood strikes me. I discovered that I'm not horrible at it but, unfortunately, I don't know anything about marketing or the business side of art.
If you're creative and artistic, and know a little something about marketing and business, you could probably do a little bit of that on the side.

These may be of no help to you but are jobs that I have known flight instructors to do on the side.

Tax Preparation - very seasonal but typically the flying weather is not that good during the tax season in Oregon ( it has been below minimums all week)

Pumping Gas - No self-serve in Oregon. Not a great gig but it can fit most schedules.

Selling Cell Phones or Cable/Satellite TV plans - This seemed to be a pretty good gig with flexible hours and pretty good part time income.

The construction trades always offer something. (though I prefer inside work in the winter) Anyone with rental properties always needs something done. (maintenance, repair, improvement) Depending on where you are and what you do some form of license and bonding may be required.

Wait you really can't pump your own gas in Oregon?

I am a Real Estate Broker and it is a nice little gig. You can also become an appraiser and work only the jobs that you want to as well. I know a few appraisal guys that are making a pretty penny and are fairly busy.

Depending on the state you can be a substitute teacher for the schools around you. My wife is doing that right now and that is $100-140 for a day of work.

Back