I'd like my VORTAC extra crispy, please

aloft

I\'d like my VORTAC extra crispy, please

What's left of the Fillmore, CA VORTAC (FIM). This is apparently a big deal as FIM was one of those gateway navaids for virtually all jet arrivals into the southern California region from the north.

46849.jpg

Re: I\'d like my VORTAC extra crispy, please

Delta 1234, cleared direct to the smoking heap of rubble....

There goes the VOR approach into CMA for breakfast
frown.gif

Now THAT is a cool find! Any story on how that happened?

Well, judging by the rest of the smoldering landscape in the picture, I would venture to guess it was a result of the recent fires.

ehhh, yeah...my bad. Not paying much attention there.

So, my question is, since so many planes are now equipped with GPS, could they still direct you to that VOR if you have GPS? After all, the GPS knows the coordinates of the VOR, whether it's transmitting or not.

[ QUOTE ]
So, my question is, since so many planes are now equipped with GPS, could they still direct you to that VOR if you have GPS? After all, the GPS knows the coordinates of the VOR, whether it's transmitting or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. GPS uses lat/long exclusively for navigation. One of the great things about GPS is that navaid outages are not a big deal. We navigate direct to intersections all the time, and they don't transmit anything ... they're just an imaginary point in space.

FL270

Actually the VOR outage might affect AHRS or IRU aircraft. AHRS and IRU aircraft in most aircraft use DME to triangulate their lat/long and then update the computer for drift.

It just so happens that I work in Ops at CMA, so pilots are asking me about it all the time. I think I will try to print that pic. The thing is that they are still giving the standard dep to every one "RT 275 radar vectors FIM....". What I want to know is how the hell to they expect you to find it, if you loose a radio in IMC? I think it would have been the simi or piru fires that killed FIM.

[ QUOTE ]
Actually the VOR outage might affect AHRS or IRU aircraft. AHRS and IRU aircraft in most aircraft use DME to triangulate their lat/long and then update the computer for drift.

[/ QUOTE ]

this might be a stupid question but what are AHRS and IRU?

Attitude Heading Reference System

Inertial Reference Unit

Good thing Rod Machado wasn't living inside that VOR.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What??

I didnt understand his statement either, but kind of chuckled at it for some weird reason.

[ QUOTE ]
This is apparently a big deal as FIM was one of those gateway navaids for virtually all jet arrivals into the southern California region from the north.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention that I use it all the time
wink.gif
C'est la vie.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What??

[/ QUOTE ]

...I think it was a joke
wink.gif

If you read enough Rod Machado books, you'll find he jokes about living inside the Van Nyes Vor, or whatever the name of that VOR is by Van Nyes.

Back