Iceland?

Blackhawk

Daughter wants to go November/December time frame. Anyone been there with recommendations on where to go what to do? She is the out doors type.

Last edited:
I've never been. But I've met surfers and mountain bikers from Iceland. I'd go for an off roading tour with a 4X4 to some remote hot springs.

Course I'd bring a six pack and try to talk the best looking local lady to join me but hey!

A guy can dream, can't he?

I just got back in June. Most amazing place I've been. It's like driving through a 3D postcard. Every square inch of land is amazing. Most people hit the Golden Circle to the south. I had 9 days and drove around the entire island. Each coast is completely different from the others. Rent a car and explore on your own. English is spoken everywhere and it's easy to navigate with a guidebook. I downloaded HERE maps for my iPhone for navigation. I use T-Mobile, but the signal was so poor that I bought a local SIM for data coverage.

Enjoy your trip with your daughter. You'll both remember it forever.

Iceland is someplace I would like to go and have never been. But if you want to see the great outdoors in Iceland in December, don't you only have about 3 hrs of daylight in a day?

I just got back in June. Most amazing place I've been. It's like driving through a 3D postcard. Every square inch of land is amazing. Most people hit the Golden Circle to the south. I had 9 days and drove around the entire island. Each coast is completely different from the others. Rent a car and explore on your own. English is spoken everywhere and it's easy to navigate with a guidebook. I downloaded HERE maps for my iPhone for navigation. I use T-Mobile, but the signal was so poor that I bought a local SIM for data coverage.

Enjoy your trip with your daughter. You'll both remember it forever.

Sounds like what we might do. My schedule is "grueling" for November so I will probably have a couple of weeks. Did it take you 9 days to make the drive?

One of my fav layovers. Blue Lagoon is a must do. Glacier tour, whale watching, Vikimg museum, lots to do. Food is excellent, water is better. No lie, it's the best water you will ever drink in your life. Glacial water right out of the faucet. Things cost a bit more than in Europe. Definitely go. You won't regret it.

It took us 9 days to drive around. Clockwise. Ring Road for all of it until the east coast. Drove probably 5 hours per day. Spent a few hours each day sightseeing and eating a leisurely dinner.

Blue lagoon is overrated and overpriced, IMO. There are better/cheaper/less crowded ones around. We also did the ring road, counterclockwise. Loved every minute of it and Puffins! Worth the drive. Rent a hamster but get the windshield insurance! There is some gravel road driving required and we definitely got some chips but were covered. We Air BnB'ed it, planned lots and had a grill and hot tub every night. Eating out is super pricey but the grocery stores stock all you need and is a much better option.

Pick up the lonely planet book and have fun!

Daughter wants to go November/December time frame. Anyone been there with recommendations on where to go what to do? She is the out doors type.
Eat a whale steak. Or sandwhich if you don't want to spend $90. No really, check the box.
Don't think you can get it anywhere else in the world legally and (supposedly) responsibly harvested.

Back