ICE

Longrange

Aircraft with TKS.
ICE at FL 370 interesting. Starts as clear and then into rime.
-51 ISA.

Attachments

• IMG_1576 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1576 (Large).JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_1577 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1577 (Large).JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 393
What is TKS? And excuse my ignorance, but what is ISA? Temperature related I'd assume...

What is TKS? And excuse my ignorance, but what is ISA? Temperature related I'd assume...
TKS is a "weeping wing" anti/de-ice system. Glycol is pumped through thousands of laser drilled holes on titanium panels installed on the leading edges of the wings and tail, preventing ice from adhering to it. It's a pretty good system, I trust it more than I would pneumatic boots.

TKS stands for: Tecalemit, Kilfrost and Sheepbridge-Stokes, the 3 companies that developed the technology for RAF bombers during WWII.

ISA - International Standard Atmosphere

Here are other types of atmospheres:

ICAO Standard Atmosphere (ICAO - International Civil Aviation Organization)

U.S. Standard Atmosphere

NRLMSISE-00 (Naval Research Laboratory Mass Spectrometer and Incoherent Scatter radar. The E means the model used extends from the ground up through the exosphere and the 00 is the year it was released. It's the standard for international space research.)

Cool pictures. I had no idea that TKS was used on aircraft that went up that high. For some reason I'd always thought it was mostly used for stuff down low.

Not to nitpick, (and I'm asking this mostly for my own clarification) but wouldn't the -51 be SAT or TAT and not ISA? I've always seen ISA listed as a deviation. For example if it's 22 degrees at sea level it would be ISA+7 based of the standard 15c at sea level.

I could certainly be wrong though.

Not to nitpick, (and I'm asking this mostly for my own clarification) but wouldn't the -51 be SAT or TAT and not ISA? I've always seen ISA listed as a deviation. For example if it's 22 degrees at sea level it would be ISA+7 based of the standard 15c at sea level.

I could certainly be wrong though.

That is what I was thinking too.

51C below ISA is not something that would ever happen in the USA latitude. 20C to either side is a decent amount but to be more than double that is extreme.

Ooh, nice! Sure wish I had a digital camera when I flew 1900's.

I know that there are Hawker 800XP's that use the TKS system. Seems like a great idea until the TKS tank runs dry but that must be a rare event since you don't ever hear about it.

I know that there are Hawker 800XP's that use the TKS system. Seems like a great idea until the TKS tank runs dry but that must be a rare event since you don't ever hear about it.

Also annoying when the fluid leaks on the hanger floor while the aircraft is just sitting there

Back