IBS-like issues

Airdale

Ever since I've been furloughed (9/9/08), I've been having digestive issues. Started with increased trips to the bathroom (#2) then I had stomach-flu like symptoms for a week, followed by stomach discomfort.

I toughed it out for a month before going to the GI doctor. Had an Edoscopy done wtih biopsy's taken. Everything came back clean and the doc put me on Pamine Forte. Things are getting better, but still not 100%. GI doc says stool tests are next, but he thinks its IBS brought on by stress (furlough).

My question is (and my doc asked me the same thing), would Pamine Forte or any other medication used to treat Stomach ulcers (which I don't have) interfere with my Class 1 Medical?

I'm hoping the stool test comes back with a parasite, because thats fixable with some anti-biotics, whereas this IBS thing appears to be a mental game and much harder to axe. I guess we'll see. Maybe I'll be fine once I get my job back.

OH yea.. i can attest that stress will cause IBS like symptoms....that and eating too much dairy product. HAHA

When it gets really bad for me, i use a product called Digestive Advantage (OTC at CVS or Walgreens, whatever pharmacy)....it's a digestive dietary tablet that helps settle everything down. See if that doesn't help.

Has he checked for diverticulitis? that can have the same symptoms.

the last time i went in for symptoms, they put me on antibiotics (for possible diverticulitis) just to see if that would stop the symptoms. It did for a while and actually helped diagnose that it was typical ol' IBS. There's really not a whole heck of a lot you can do about it but watch your diet, exercise, see if you're becoming lactose intolerant, do breathing exercises and try to manage your stress level. I know that's not easy and i can attest that unemployment is certainly stressful as i'm not even managing it all that well anymore myself and my symptoms are back because of it.

OH yea.. i can attest that stress will cause IBS like symptoms....that and eating too much dairy product. HAHA

When it gets really bad for me, i use a product called Digestive Advantage (OTC at CVS or Walgreens, whatever pharmacy)....it's a digestive dietary tablet that helps settle everything down. See if that doesn't help.

Has he checked for diverticulitis? that can have the same symptoms.

the last time i went in for symptoms, they put me on antibiotics (for possible diverticulitis) just to see if that would stop the symptoms. It did for a while and actually helped diagnose that it was typical ol' IBS. There's really not a whole heck of a lot you can do about it but watch your diet, exercise, see if you're becoming lactose intolerant, do breathing exercises and try to manage your stress level. I know that's not easy and i can attest that unemployment is certainly stressful as i'm not even managing it all that well anymore myself and my symptoms are back because of it.

Thanks for the advice Kristie. I will try those tablets you mentioned. When you were on antibiotics, that actually stopped the problem for awhile? My doc had mentioned treating me for parasites right away to see if that would bring everything to a hault, but he was leary about putting on antibiotics without proper tests being done.

This whole problem is just dragging me down, literally. I feel depressed on some days because I can't even get out and do things, for fear of having to need a bathroom quickly. It causes me discomfort in my lower abdomen, cramping pains and worst of all, nausea sometimes.

I've been tested for Celiacs and a few other things through the biopsy, but other than mild irriation of the tissue, everything was normal. It makes me even nervous about getting recalled because what if this affects my ability to fly? Its just a mess. I'm gonna get hypnotized. "No more pooping...ooooooo"

Thanks for the advice Kristie. I will try those tablets you mentioned. When you were on antibiotics, that actually stopped the problem for awhile? My doc had mentioned treating me for parasites right away to see if that would bring everything to a hault, but he was leary about putting on antibiotics without proper tests being done.

This whole problem is just dragging me down, literally. I feel depressed on some days because I can't even get out and do things, for fear of having to need a bathroom quickly. It causes me discomfort in my lower abdomen, cramping pains and worst of all, nausea sometimes.

I've been tested for Celiacs and a few other things through the biopsy, but other than mild irriation of the tissue, everything was normal. It makes me even nervous about getting recalled because what if this affects my ability to fly? Its just a mess. I'm gonna get hypnotized. "No more pooping...ooooooo"
PM sent :)

I was on Bentyl for several years before flying - and it worked great. Then when "the man" found out when I applied for my medical, they pulled it. I had to go six months off it to prove I was fine without it, which sucked.

I was on Bentyl for several years before flying - and it worked great. Then when "the man" found out when I applied for my medical, they pulled it. I had to go six months off it to prove I was fine without it, which sucked.

How did they find out?

How did they find out?

Yeah, I hadn't flown for several years - so when I went to renew my medical - my AME had originally signed me off. Apparently Warren Silberman sent him a scathing letter a few days later and they asked me to mail my medical back. Funny how they can do that quickly, but anything else...

Back in 2004 (well into my 20s) I finally figured out that I had a food intolerance after eating certain things. My system does not digest hydrogenated oil (basically Crisco) aka transfats. Transfats are actually the only thing we eat which, on a atomic level (?), do not naturally occur in nature. Saturated fat is better for the body than trans fat because, being a natural substance your body knows how to break it down.

Transfat is found in deep fry grease and prepackaged man-made items with a long shelf life. Oreos used to be all hydrogenated _________ oil of some kind, but they have stopped using it very recently.

If your diet is the same as it was before you got these symptoms then it is probably the stress. Understand that IBS is not an actual diagnoses. IBS means, " We can't figure out why, but the patient has these digestive problems"- that is fact not opinion.

When dealing with this problem the real question is, "What does your diet consist of"?

Are you eating whole grain bread (or something) and fruits and vegetables or are you living off of fast food. Cut out the dairy- its not actually good for you. The FDA is actually funded (if you know what I mean) by food makers and does not make consumer protection a priority (the toxins present in certain plastic bottles and all the Chantix medication deaths are the latest proof of this).

I'm no doctor, but it sounds like stress.

Back