IA fixed base of operation requirement

zx6rrider

I'm moving in the next couple weeks and won't have a job right away (moving for my wifes job) and thought that would be a great time to study for my IA. Without having a job and shop to call a "fixed base of operation" I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to take the exam correct? How strict is this requirement and how can I jusify my "fixed base of operation?" Ill probably rent a hangar for my 150 and hang out at the airport studying (for IA and CFI) but don't intend to open a shop. Thanks for any thoughts

My friend got his IA last year and it was a pretty big deal, he definitely needed a suitable permanent shop that he could call his base of operation. Seems like an attack on the "little guy" to me, as there are several good mechanics around who can work out of a truck just fine but dont have $250,000 to plop down on a hangar... but I guess the FAA never asked my opinion.

Your hangar will work as a fixed base just fine. I know of a few people who use their house as a fixed base and then travel around with a truck & trailer.

Thanks guys, Ill talk to the locals when I get settled and see how the FSDO is, from what I hear it can either be no big deal or a million hoops; so we'll see what happens

Back