I wouldnt wanna sit at a desk and fly this

I'm not sure what portion of military pilots plan to continue a flying career when they get out, but there may be plenty who aren't concerned about building flight time. Would also be interesting if they opened drone flying up to enlisted personnel.

The AF has allowed enlisted drone pilots since 2017

My 2nd cousin is in the Marines and he flies predator and all other types of military drones. He says for observation and with live ordinance.

Army has enlisted UAS Operators.

Who are extremely limited in expectation when compared to heir peers in other services.

The Army does a very poor job of integrating the air plan into their operational planning. So instead they just get assigned a block of “stay over here and out of the way” airspace’s selected by the Air Force to avoid having a Shadow or Grey Eagle blitzing cluelessly through the sky outside designated air corridors.

We do let them shoot/guide ordnance though, which is something the Air Force took the longest time just letting non pointy nose jet guys do because it was considered some kind of special requirement to be a Tactical Air guy when shooting Hellfires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what portion of military pilots plan to continue a flying career when they get out, but there may be plenty who aren't concerned about building flight time. Would also be interesting if they opened drone flying up to enlisted personnel.
It always sort of blows my mind that my favorite Naval Aviator has not, to my knowledge, flown since his time in the Service, or at least, has not converted his qualifications to civilian.

Which, of course begs the question... why are officers typically the only ones privileged to fly those big expensive weapons platforms? (Leading question hint to consider in your anaylsis: "Do you really think it's because college graduates with the correct pedigrees typically display better airmanship and stick skills, or are the ones who can do more situps or run the OC faster??")

To bastardize Doc Brown, "where we're going, we don't NEED pilots". In fact, objectively, it's a miracle we even have fighter jocks anymore right now, today. The sack of meat in the seat is the single most significant engineering obstacle to maximizing the performance of modern military air combat platforms.

Last edited:
Who are extremely limited in expectation when compared to heir peers in other services.

The Army does a very poor job of integrating the air plan into their operational planning. So instead they just get assigned a block of “stay over here and out of the way” airspace’s selected by the Air Force to avoid having a Shadow or Grey Eagle blitzing cluelessly through the sky outside designated air corridors.

We do let them shoot/guide ordnance though, which is something the Air Force took the longest time just letting non pointy nose jet guys do because it was considered some kind of special requirement to be a Tactical Air guy when shooting Hellfires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is one of those "shocked, shocked" moments.

Plans? Humans? Integration???? Maybe you need a refresher course. :)

why are officers typically the only ones privileged to fly those big expensive weapons platforms? (Leading question hint to consider in your anaylsis: "Do you really think it's because college graduates with the correct pedigrees typically display better airmanship and stick skills, or are the ones who can do more situps or run the OC faster??")

because officer pilots in the military spend far more time doing management stuff then flying

because officer pilots in the military spend far more time doing management stuff then flying

Yeah, that's right in the modern world. I mean, somebody sophisticated has to come up with the funding scam for the new golf course (and irrigation system) at Beale. If not an officer, then WHOM? And if not now, then WHEN? I mean, frankly, that clubhouse is looking shabby.

Even still, rewarding that kind of behavior with the world's greatest amusement park rides doesn't really seem an equitable tradeoff for tax payers, yeah?

I kinda - probably in a naive and antiquatedly idealistic (almost Kipling-esque) fashion - like to think that officers have received a broad and deep education that includes- with relevant contextual perspective - a reading and understanding of the contract they are required to support BEFORE they swear an oath to support and defend it.

Then again, American's spend almost half a trillion dollars on internet commerce each year. You know, transactions in which the contract of "sale" is blithely and blindly and, nowadays, willfully ignored. People routinely sign up for jobs with ZERO idea what their contract of employment contains. Most folks make the largest single purchase of their lives -their house- with nary a glance at the fine print.

So, yeah, it's probably a BIG ask to request that people read and consider -with and in relevant historical context - their miraculous, foundational, civilizationally-binding social and legal contract of incorporation.

Last edited:
Back