I was wondering about ATP Self Paced Program?

blakehanson

I was very interested in ATP in JAX. I was wondering lots of things. But, let me ask what I can think of right now. If you would like to add extra information by all means go ahead.

I was wondering about the self paced program from zero flight hours to instructor. I believe I want to go that route although I believe im only go to make it around 4 months. Thats my goal.

Im wondering what kind of days will I have?
I mean, what will my schedule be like?
Class room hours?
Flight hours?

Does anyone know about the instructors there?
Facility?
Equipment?

What about the apartments? Nice?

Baiscally let me know what you know.

Also, is the price really worth it?

I was also looking at Falcon Aviation Academy. Does anyone know about that school? Which school would you recommend?

Also, im only looking for opinions from people who have gone to either of these schools?

Thanks alot everyone!

I was very interested in ATP in JAX. I was wondering lots of things. But, let me ask what I can think of right now. If you would like to add extra information by all means go ahead.

I was wondering about the self paced program from zero flight hours to instructor. I believe I want to go that route although I believe im only go to make it around 4 months. Thats my goal.

Im wondering what kind of days will I have?
I mean, what will my schedule be like?
Class room hours?
Flight hours?

Does anyone know about the instructors there?
Facility?
Equipment?

What about the apartments? Nice?

Baiscally let me know what you know.

Also, is the price really worth it?

I was also looking at Falcon Aviation Academy. Does anyone know about that school? Which school would you recommend?

Also, im only looking for opinions from people who have gone to either of these schools?

Thanks alot everyone!

Every ATP location is a little different. Some locations have vastly different instructors, apartments, and facilities. For the most part, the planes are all the same since they are shared by each location. Everyone has their own opinions on which location is best and on the choice of doing if from 0 hours or 85-hours.

Personally, I would not do it from 0 hours and I would choice the RAL location for the ACPP. To get your private and the 85-hours, I would go to your local FBO. By doing this, you ensure you are passionate about flying and can learn the most difficult phase of training (PPL-ASEL) at your own pace. You can work quicker when you need too and spend more time on a particular area if its required.

Your workload at ATP will differ based on the phase of training you are in, but also differ based on your location and instructor. Do a search of the forum and you can find that certain locations are a bit more "laid back" when it comes to stuff. But remember, just because a location is "laid back" it doesn't mean you will not get done in the allotted time. If you work hard when you need to work hard, study when you need to study, and fly well when you need to fly well, you will do fine.

Regarding price, everyone has their own opinions as well. You need to look at your current financial situation and see if you can incur that sort of debt load or if you are not taking out a loan, if dropping that sort of cash if a good thing. In my opinion its worth it, as long as you pick the right location and are sure about your choice to be a pilot. If there is any gray area on your desire to make this your career, I would not do it. Again, this is why I would do the private someplace else.

Just my two cents...

Nick

I did the Self paced in Arlington. Housing isn't provided. As for your days, you set up your schedule with your instructor. Self pacers have a higher drop out rate because no one is on them to get done. Pick a schedule and stick to it. Don't change because you are tired, want to go out with friends or "just don't feel like it". I worked a 40 hour a week job 7am to 4pm. I worked close to the airport and trained 4:30PM to whenever (mostly 8pmish) 3 times a week plus I would go in Sunday morning and stay until the lesson/objective was done. I did the 10 month program in 6 months. I also did the self paced private (no longer offered) in 3 months the same way. It can be done, but you have to keep your eye on the goal. As an instructor and a student I saw more than a few self pacers fall by the wayside.

I agree. I will definatly set a schedule and stick to it. I was going to put this first before anything else so I could gurantee myself a finish. My goal is to make it about 4 months. Little longer then the 90 day program mainly to make sure I dont over whelm myself all at once. This way If I feel I can step it up I can choose to add more flights or classes or I can pace myself along so im not missing valuble insight.

Do you know what a day would be like if I spread it out to about 4 months? I'm wondering about classroom time really. Like how long is the classroom time each day?

Thanks!

Classroom time depends on the instructor. For the ACPP some instructors have a lot...some very little. I had 1-2 hours a day. It's part 61 not 141. Also Self Pacers go BEHIND 90 dayers so sometimes you get passed over or pushed back a bit. They have 90 days for them....but 10 months for you. That being said I was only passed over 3 or 4 days over my time there. My advice to you. Get your writtens out of the way and get used to studying on your own. I read every book they gave me cover to cover.

Eagle is good. I got a hard line this month. Quite a few senior FO's looking for a Plan B. I know one going to Cathy Pacific. Every other day I hear "Eagle isn't going to furlough" then "Get your McDonalds App ready". I am just going to keep working until they tell me I can't. I got the CRJ700...but wanted the Saab. Hindsight the CRJ700 is better as I won't have to go through training again as the Saabs are going away.

Thanks alot. Thats what I was wondering about class room time. I could handle 1-2 hours a day, easy. I'm just not wanting to do something like 5-6 hours a day or something like that.

Now for my writtens. Can you take them anytime you want? I was wanting to wait till I understood everything first. Although, I have already got a Test Pilot Prep book that I will be learning very soon and have been asking around for where to get some books on PPL. I have got some excellent suggestions from the FAA site so I will be reading those also. I dont plan on starting till the end of August so I have some time.

Also, just wondering about your eagle job. How many hours did you have when they hired you?

There are some days where you will spend 5-6 or more hours doing ground or sim time. In the air youll spend 8-9 hours sometimes on cross countries. Other days are really short, sometimes I go in for a couple hours in the morning and im out of there by lunch time. Of course just because you get out early does not mean go home and relax the rest of the day, for me atleast it means go home and take the extra time off to study for writtens or just study in general.

I just got back from my IFR Long Cross country from Riverside to Sacramento, we left at 2 PM local and got back around midnight. From what I hear the commercial cross countries are even longer.

Also im doing the 90 day so the 10 month self paced is probably not like this, just realised you were asking about the self paced. Far as I know its self paced so you go at your own pace, not even sure you need to be done in 10 months if you dont want to.

since i chose not to attend atp, i will only address one of you questions. is the price really worth it? i thought long and hard about attending atp in the fall after i graduate and finish my ppl but i couldn't get my head around a 60k loan. i even went to check out the stuart location. it all looked great. nice planes, nice apartments, enthusiastic instructors, lots of multi-time, but i took advice from all kinds of people, especially on this forum and decided against it. with the airline industry in the dumps right now and the future unknown, i would be reluctant to sign up unless i knew i would have a job lined up right after graduation. you'll most likely end up instructing. but you can get a job doing that after maybe $25k training at your local fbo and you can do that at your own pace too. to me the price of attendance is not worth it when considering the state of the industry. paying 60K just to be a cfi seems a bit much. however if things turn around here before the years end, you'll have the leg up on me with all you fancy multi time. what ever you choose to do, do it and dont look back. good luck man

p.s. i spent alot of time reading stillageek's blog before i got started. he was the reason i went to check out atp in the first place. (thanks stillageek for the blog btw. keep it up for us noobs who are still dreaming of getting payed to fly)

One big thing about any flight school is the cost. Paying back $50K+ isn't easy. I planned for this with my wife. I don't know how folks 18-21 who likely have no long work history or a good support system can make it. There is NO way I could make it with any sense of a QOL level without my wife's income. She pays all the bills...I pay my flight loan (which is waaaaaay less than $60K)

Back