I think I see delta's plan

pilotlight

With ASA's recent award of 10 CRJ9's, I now see that Delta wants every one their regional carriers to fly at least a small amount of 76 seat jets, and they also want at least 2 carriers in each hub (i.e. Mesaba getting some routes out of SLC) and they want more carriers in their biggest hub (ATL) Maximize Whipsaw threat = great performance from the regionals because of fear. I forsee constant schedule changes and constant threats for the distant future.

You do realize those Mesaba routes are not permanent out of SLC right?

SKW is moving some -200s into Atlanta, and during that same time period Mesaba is moving some fleet into SLC. All by direction of DCI.

It all transfers back again at some point when SKW leaves Atlanta, Mesaba leaves SLC. At least that's my understanding.

There is a reason why we do not contract routes, but rather a fixed number of block hours.

You do realize those Mesaba routes are not permanent out of SLC right?

SKW is moving some -200s into Atlanta, and during that same time period Mesaba is moving some fleet into SLC. All by direction of DCI.

It all transfers back again at some point when SKW leaves Atlanta, Mesaba leaves SLC. At least that's my understanding.

There is a reason why we do not contract routes, but rather a fixed number of block hours.

that may be the case but until xj stops doing routes out of slc, its perminent. Hell, they are even doing DTW SLC at one point. which is rediculous in its own right.

Fixed number? Maybe ASA, but not us. Part of the whole "the sky is falling" over here is b/c our block ours change from month to month. Sure, they can't drop us below the number of airframes we have right now without re-negotiating our ASA, but they can leave us with a LOT of spares if they cut the block hours enough.

Right, it's not a fixed number. . .but as sub contractors we are awared flying in regards to a certain number of block hours each month, that number is indeed fixed and we get paid for it whether or not we fly it because our mainline partner decides to take it away.

Each month the number changes.

As opposed to a certain route structure that is fixed month to month, with no ability to change. We are awarded contracts based on block hour flying as opposed to specific buckets of certain routes. That's what I'm saying.

I've heard that Delta presence or thought in the flight schedule structure with regionals, and why every different one goes to everywhere.
The bottom line rumor/thought is that if one airline dissapears or goes on strike or whatever......another regional can swoop right in and fly that work.

Now i know the old saying is that you cant fly "struck work"
But since carrier XYZ was already going to destination ABC.....all they are doing is increasing the frequency of their "own" flights.

Therefore not flying "struck work"

Basically another version of a whipsaw.

That is a rumor that i've heard.

Three words: 2001 Comair strike.

Delta isn't about to let a single regional carrier impact their operations that severely ever again, hence the fleet and route overlaps.

Three words: 2001 Comair strike.

Delta isn't about to let a single regional carrier impact their operations that severely ever again, hence the fleet and route overlaps.

Yeah. Correct. I know this is the reason.

Just referencing a story to this idea of "deltas plan" for those that didnt know.

Right. My point was that pilotlight didn't have it quite right here:

Maximize Whipsaw threat = great performance from the regionals because of fear. I forsee constant schedule changes and constant threats for the distant future.

Right, it's not a fixed number. . .but as sub contractors we are awared flying in regards to a certain number of block hours each month, that number is indeed fixed and we get paid for it whether or not we fly it because our mainline partner decides to take it away.

Each month the number changes.

As opposed to a certain route structure that is fixed month to month, with no ability to change. We are awarded contracts based on block hour flying as opposed to specific buckets of certain routes. That's what I'm saying.

But why does the number change each month? B/c they change routes. :) So, in a sense, we ARE awarded routes....just on a month to month basis. If routes really didn't matter, then they could say "Well, PCL's got a spare CRJ on the ground right now. XJ's got one down for MX. Let PCL operate this flight, and when XJ's comes back up, they can operate a PCL flight to make up the difference." If it were truly based on block hours, the above COULD happen.

Back