I now realize something about IFR

DrBenny

Now that I've read three texts on IFR, I am finally realizing why my teacher had (and has) focused on approaches, and not as much (as yet) on STARs or DPs. Approaches are often more challenging than any of the other procedures, with the possible exception of holds.

So right now, approaches are no more difficult for me than flying DPs or arrivals. (Enroute is obviously the easiest phase procedurally.)

Holds don't scare me so much, but the entries are flubbing me up. I've only done one actual hold in the plane; all the rest were on the FTD or on MS2002. And for some reason, I hear tell ATC doesn't like it if you suggest, "Why don't you just let me wander around up here for a while?"

At this stage, flying in actual (or under the hood) isn't too difficult, though I have trouble holding a constant rate descent within 100 fpm, for some reason. I think I might be chasing the VSI.

But I do a good ILS, and I'll bet that was CFII's rationale in emphasizing them. After all, you gotta get the plane on the ground, and botched approaches are often bad news.

Ed has some good info there on holds but I like this little ROT.

In standard patterns:

If you have to cross the VOR and then turn left (to remain in protected airspace) in order to get back to the VOR and the holding pattern you need to do a parallel entry.

If you have to cross the VOR and then to turn right (to remain in protected airspace) to get back to the VOR and the holding pattern you need to do a teardrop entry.

If you don't cross the VOR first, nor need to turn either direction (to remain in protected airspace) you'll be doing a direct entry.

For non-standard just reverse everything.

How bout this, Look at your heading. Draw a quick sketch of what radial or brg that youll be required to hold on with the appr direction turn. Then perform the entry that looks most apporpriate. No math, no gadgets, just paper and pencil. And once you do it enough, those pictures will be drawn in your mind and it will be a sinch.

I just kinda tace the general direction I'm flying with my finger ( ... or until you get used to it I suppose you could use a pencil) on the plate to whatever hold it is I'm expecting and then apply the rules I outlined above. Takes all of 5 seconds to figure it out - now that I'm used to it.

For non-published holds I draw everything out.

I like to think that the moment you leave the ground you are on approach to your next destination. DPs, enroute, STARs are all the same ideas as approaches and all designed to get you back on the ground safely.

Back