I never knew Delta used to operate 747's

Joshua949

I never knew Delta used to operate 747\'s

350857.jpg

Can somebody tell me when delta operated the 747-100's...why didnt they buy more & stuff like that....

Re: I never knew Delta used to operate 747\'s

Here's a link with some info: Delta Air Lines - Boeing 747

American also had some 747-100s and 747SPs. They even had "American Freighter" for flying cargo.

American Freighter Boeing 747-123F

American Airlines Boeing 747-123

American Airlines Boeing 747-SP

Thanks, I already knew that AA had 747's, but thank you for the page to Delta's 747 info. Sometimes it amazes me what airlines operated aircraft that you would never think of. Me personally, I actually liked the shiny livery of the AA 747's even though they didn't particularly like them. AA, & I think the same, thought they were to large of an aircraft to hangle..(lots of maintenance, cleanup)....they were too much to keep up..
cool.gif

Many seem to be cutting back on 747's for some reason, perhaps because the 777 can carry almost as many and the Airbus is getting very popular now. But that pic was a while ago I mean look at the paint job.

Delta had the 747's the in the early 70's. At that time they werent flying international routes. The ones in charge decided the airplane was to big for the route structure. They didnt start flying international until around they late 70's.

Thats interesting information, I didn't know that.

Oh yeah, most of the US airlines flew 747s at some stage I think and Northwest and United still do.

US airlines that had 747s, Continental, American, Delta, Branif (big orange), Pan Am, FedEx, TWA... hum I think that's covers all the major ones.

And Southwest...
wn744.jpg

And ATA...
atab744.jpg

So where the hell are all these 747s disappearing off to anyway? I mean, yeah the 777 is a great airplane, but it wasn't built to replace the 747.

Then again, the entire airline industry in general seems to be moving away from incredably large jets these days.

[ QUOTE ]
So where the hell are all these 747s disappearing off to anyway? I mean, yeah the 777 is a great airplane, but it wasn't built to replace the 747.

Then again, the entire airline industry in general seems to be moving away from incredably large jets these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many 747 Classics are sitting at Pinal Air Park, AZ.

Ugh! I hate southwest's colours!! Get new paint jobs for your planes!!! Who agrees?

Not I. It's product recognition my friend. Like it or not - you KNOW it's a SWA plane.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of the airlines traded in their 747s for DC-10s and Tristars. Plus the only routes you really NEED a 3 or 4 engined airplane is over the Pacific and that's exsactly where most of these airlines with 747s fly (NorthWest, United, Qantas, Singapore, Cathay, Air New Zealand etc etc)

It's probably obvious by now, but the Southwest one is a PhotoShop job:

N-number : N418WN
Aircraft Serial Number : 29823
Aircraft Manufacturer : BOEING
Model : 737-7H4
Engine Manufacturer : CFM INTL.
Model : CFM56 SERIES
Aircraft Year : 2001
Owner Name : SOUTHWEST AIRLINES CO
Owner Address : PO BOX 36611
DALLAS, TX, 75235-1611
Type of Owner : Corporation
Registration Date : 26-Apr-2002
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard
Approved Operations : Transport

Is that why the ATA and SW photos are both exactly the same except flipped horizontally?
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
the Southwest one is a PhotoShop job

[/ QUOTE ]

AHHHH! I CAN'T SEE! I'VE BEEN BLINDED BY A BLINDING FLASH OF THE OBVIOUS!
shocked.gif

Back