I learned a very interesting aviation fact over the last few years

TexasFlyer

Living the Dream (well at least trying to)
Easiest job I ever had was advertised as being a hard job at a regional airline and the training would be tough and like drinking from a fire hose and your brain may melt. And the interview was a bit technical and including written tests and sim and panel to secure the job. And PSA it turns out, was the most enjoyable job I ever had in my life overall if I leave the regional pay scale out of the equation. And oddly, it was the job I thought I would like least. Oh hindsight is always 20/20.

Worst jobs I ever had was the two where the company never asked me a technical question and the interview was really not much of an interview. It was just a bragging conversation about their company and how everyone loves it there and how it will be the easiest job I ever had with an amazing quality of life due to the schedule and pay. I really wanted these jobs and thought I hit the jackpot once offered the job. Well, the pay was good in both cases but they turn out to be zero quality of life compared to what they advertised in the interview. And when discussing the disconnect of interview and reality of the job, the owner just wants to give gifts and money to retain you but not work on the real issue since they truly believe the job to be amazing for someone as they run the best operation in the world so no changes can be made other than more money and gifts since there is plenty of that to go around. Oh how I fell for the bait and switch twice in my career when approached.

CONCLUSION:

In aviation as a professional pilot, when told this will be the most challenging job ever and passing the training alone is an accomplishment, TAKE IT. They are just testing you to see if you are confident in your ability to be a professional hard working aviator and you will be rewarded with a terrific job.

In aviation as a professional pilot, when the owner of a company brags how amazing the job will be and toots his horn about how everyone loves it there, run far and fast! And do not look back at the pretty airplane. It is a trick.

Okay. Rant over. These facts are likely not true in most cases. Just something from personal experience I am finding interesting in retrospect. What is your experience with this?

I'd agree that IN GENERAL if the interview consists of just a sales pitch and no evaluation of any sort, there is probably a reason. Clearly there are exceptions to the rule, but more times than not it is true. On a personal note the job I enjoy the least is my regional job, I like being off more but the flying is waaaay more boring. I'm at a true regional, so ymmv.

Im not sure I would say this is unique to being a professional pilot. I have seen this happen in multiple times in my industry as well.

You mentioned the disconnect between the interview and the reality of the job. In my industry, we have a constant shortage of people to do the work. HR has been tasked to increase the numbers and bring as many people in for interviews that meet our requirements. I think there has been a major disconnect between what HR tells the candidates we are looking for and what we are actually looking for. For those that do seem to be a good fit, when they start work, there is a major misunderstanding of the "flexibility, work life balance, etc" that HR has told them. With almost no experience (many are straight out of school), the new hires tend to have the expectation that these benefits are given on day one. While those of us who have been around for a while know you have to work and prove yourself first.

When I was hired in my current role, HR kicked me around to 4 departments to find the best fit for me. I did a phone interview with one department and then was asked to come in for an interview day. I showed up and literally had no clue what I was interviewing for. After giving that generic "I am awesome at everything this company does!" responses, I finally asked them "so walk me through what you do on an average day" and figured it out. When I was given my offer, I asked them to give it to me straight on the hours that would need to be worked. Would there be a busy season where you would work nearly constantly or is it busy through out the year. HR gave me the song and dance about all being professionals and having flexibility, when a senior manager called I was just blunt about what the expectations were. Ive loved the job ever since and now make sure I tell candidates the real way our firm works.

Im not sure I would say this is unique to being a professional pilot. I have seen this happen in multiple times in my industry as well.

You mentioned the disconnect between the interview and the reality of the job. In my industry, we have a constant shortage of people to do the work. HR has been tasked to increase the numbers and bring as many people in for interviews that meet our requirements. I think there has been a major disconnect between what HR tells the candidates we are looking for and what we are actually looking for. For those that do seem to be a good fit, when they start work, there is a major misunderstanding of the "flexibility, work life balance, etc" that HR has told them. With almost no experience (many are straight out of school), the new hires tend to have the expectation that these benefits are given on day one. While those of us who have been around for a while know you have to work and prove yourself first.

When I was hired in my current role, HR kicked me around to 4 departments to find the best fit for me. I did a phone interview with one department and then was asked to come in for an interview day. I showed up and literally had no clue what I was interviewing for. After giving that generic "I am awesome at everything this company does!" responses, I finally asked them "so walk me through what you do on an average day" and figured it out. When I was given my offer, I asked them to give it to me straight on the hours that would need to be worked. Would there be a busy season where you would work nearly constantly or is it busy through out the year. HR gave me the song and dance about all being professionals and having flexibility, when a senior manager called I was just blunt about what the expectations were. Ive loved the job ever since and now make sure I tell candidates the real way our firm works.
HR should not be in charge of hiring anyone. That was never supposed to be HR's job.

I'll add to that. HR should find the people to screen to hire. People from that department where people are needed should be in charge of the interview process.
Yes, thats exactly what they do. We (the department) take their suggestions, interview them, and then decide whether to hire them. Their suggestions do not always match what we need and they handles a lot of the pre and post communication and thats where we see a breakdown in the realities of work requirements.

HR gave me the song and dance about all being professionals and having flexibility, when a senior manager called I was just blunt about what the expectations were.

Whenever you hear this - RUN! RUN! FAR AWAY! unless you are willing to not have a schedule (hey, I've been there in my life before, now not so much). My old job was like this, "well, you're an officer of the company - you need to be able to step up and be professional when we need extra hands then find a way to take time off later to make up for." That time later never comes, and you will always work.

Bottom line - if you don't have clear defined expectations for your hours, pay, benes, schedule, or anything - you'll be abused as much as you'll let them.

Business process/managment consulting. We work project to project and that might mean unpredictable hours/expectations. 40hr work weeks tend not to be the norm.

Back