I have a question about "a day in the life of an airline pilot"

Varig

I have a question about \"a day in the life of an airline pilot\"

Hey guys. There is one thing about airline flying that even after reading Doug's great insights, I am still confused about.

So when an airline pilot goes on a trip, he stays out away from home for 4 days, flying between various cities and staying in hotels. Sounds great!

But are there ever those days where you get up in the morning, make your first fight around 9am, fly to various cities, and eventually make your way back to your home town by the end of the day? Or is the airline pilot schedule always made so that at the end of the day you find yourself in a distant city, only to return 4 days later? Not that it matters to me one way or the other...infact I love traveling, probalby beacuse I have been doing it all my life. But I am very curious about that aspect of Comercial aviation.

BTW, as a little side note: Only 2 days till I make my first training flight
grin.gif
Cant wait...I have been waiting my whole life for this!

Re: I have a question about \"a day in the life of an airline pilot\"

Even though I dont fly professionally I do have several friends who do and there are trips that are called daytrips at some airlines. These trips are usually a few legs but you wind up at you base where you started.

I think it depends on the airline, but most (I think) have different bids, 1 day,2 day,3 day etc.

From what I've understood, regional carriers pretty much always allowed you to end up at the base where you started at the end of the day, but I have to wonder if this has changed with the increasing size of regional jet fleets. Anyone have any insight?

ASA has up to 4 day trips for the crews, which are great for commuting crews. As mentioned there are many different type trips. But you do know what you are flying for a whole month until bizjet guys.

The airline I am flying for has us home every night. We fly bwtween 6-7 hours a day and always start and end in Anchorage. The early flight leaves at 6:00am and gets done around 2:30pm., and the late shift leaves at 10:00am and gets back at 6:30pm.

We work a 10 day on, 10 day off, 5 days on call for the freighter and then 5 days on reserve. It is a pretty nice schedule.

"...regional carriers pretty much always allowed you to end up at the base where you started at the end of the day."
This is how it used to be. Nowadays, though, this is the case less and less often. Day trips are still out there, and some companys (ie. Colgan, CommutAir, etc.) have more than others. At most of the larger regionals, four or even some five day trips are the norm. Keep in mind, many pilots commute and would rather do their flying in a big chunk, three or four days at a time, so they can go home for their days off.

Yes, you can also bid for day trips at my company. You usually report at around 8 am and duty off around 6pm. These lines usually go pretty senior.

You can also bid for stand-up lines. These tie together the last flight to an outstation with the first flight to a hub. For instance, you would duty on around 830pm, depart around 930 and fly one leg to an overnight. You stay on duty all night (and are paid at half rate for the time you spend at the hotel) and fly back around 6 am. At that point, you duty off all day until your next flight (possibly to duty on around 8pm that night again). Stand-ups usually go senior for captains and junior for FOs (presumably because you don't build much flight time).

Back