I had a MAYDAY and ATC was awesome (audio)!

GreenDayPilot

Ok, so first of all, it has been years since I've been on here... hopefully JC is just as awesome and informative as it used to be since I last logged on.

Sorry for the long post...

I've had a number of emergencies, but 2 were pretty serious engine failures in single-engine airplanes. The most recent one was 6 years ago (Feb 2012) as I was leaving Vegas (HND) for Long Beach (LGB) in a Columbia 400 (i.e., Cessna 400TT), which is about a 1.1 hour flight. This was at night, over pretty treacherous terrain. My route planning was pretty crappy, as I had "get-there-itis," so I was pretty much going direct right after clearing bravo airspace.

Only about 8 minutes after takeoff, and after clearing bravo airspace, I picked up flight following. Immediately after, the engine suddenly quit entirely. It came back on twice, but only for 20-30 seconds at a time. Thankfully for me, this all happened just as I was passing an uncontrolled airport (0L7). In the end, I managed to glide it down, with no power, to a safe landing. ATC made sure the fire department was there, waiting for me. There was no crash, so when I spoke the fire department, they asked if I needed anything. Well, I didn't really need anything, but I did ask for the paramedics to read my blood pressure... it was about 190/90.

We got a mechanic out there the following day.

I should note that we had gotten some maintenance work done a couple days prior to replace the tachometer sensor. This included removing several engine components. Additionally, this airplane has two turbo chargers that connect via one single manifold into the engine.... It was determined that the previous mechanic did not properly secure that manifold, using the incorrect type of sealant. So, once I got up in the air (about 4,500 AGL), this manifold snapped off. This then made the airplane "normalized," instead of turbocharged. Naturally, all of my training told me to give it more fuel... little to my knowledge at the time, I was aggravating the situation. The engine was asking for 16 gallons per hour, and I was giving it more than 40gph (what's usually needed).

The FAA left a little note on the airplane, asking for a report. I gave them a detailed report and asked if I could possibly contact the controller or send him a thank you basket. After all, I was asking a lot of the controller, and he was an all-star in helping me out at the time. Unfortunately, the FAA inspector advised me that because they are government employees, I wouldn't be able to give them any gift,.... so, if you're out there, or if anyone knows this all-star, please thank him for me! I'm not sure how I would've handled it without him.

At the time I was able to get about 60% of the audio from liveatc.net. The audio starts at the point where I was picking up flight following, then I immediately declare emergency (no audio for this). Most of the transmissions occur after the 1:30 mark.

http://f.cl.ly/items/3a2i303i2X2X3p0s1J2k/KLAS-App--Feb-25-2012-0430Z.mp3

Two questions for controllers:
1) Is it a fact that I cannot send a thank you gift to a controller?
2) Does ATC (specially TRACON) keep certain tapes of such events? If so, what are the chances of a civilian getting a hold of those?

I had great ATC service on my IFR emergency over the Rockies also.

I can answer your question #2. Emergencies involving ATC often involve ATC reports, together with the collection of radar tracks and audio. If they still exist, try a FOIA request for them. In my own case, the only aftermath (other than speaking with Center on the phone to say we were ok) was a phone discussion with an ASI. I waited a year and the made a FOIA request. Got the ATC written reports, audio of the event, and radar tracks.

Whether they would be available 6 years later I don't know.

Six years is a long time ago so finding the controller will be a needle search....

In the future (of course I hope you don't NEED this advise), you can always write a letter to the FAA to the ATTN of the Controller's Section and tell your story in detail along with your contact information. The FAA presents the Archie Award (?) annually to Controllers that excel in the line of duty in the assistance of aircraft in flight. The FAA uses their own recommendation process and the letters received in order to recognize the most deserving.

Just something to consider..

In my early days as a controller in BOS (mid-late 80's) corporate flight shops would drop by "thank you's" during the holidays. Always happy to be on shift when the Guinness guys came by.

Widget and the like would drop by a gift of turkey and the fixings in ATL /A80, and might still, but before I retired in '15 we had some upper manglement folks that took the accepting gifts rule to a new level and actually met Delta reps at the guard house and sent them, and our Thanksgiving Day dinner, away. Mmmmm vending machine Thanksgiving.

https://ask.fedweek.com/federal-government-policies/rules-gifts/

At our facility around Christmas time it’s common to come in for work and find that a pilot has sent over donuts or pizzas or a big box of chocolates, etc. Occasionally it happens during the year but usually Holiday Time there’s a lot. It’s great!!! Regardless of actual rules it happens and we of moral turpitude gladly accept lol

In the future (of course I hope you don't NEED this advise), you can always write a letter to the FAA to the ATTN of the Controller's Section and tell your story in detail along with your contact information. The FAA presents the Archie Award (?) annually to Controllers that excel in the line of duty in the assistance of aircraft in flight. The FAA uses their own recommendation process and the letters received in order to recognize the most deserving.

Wilco! Yeah, I just recently found out about said award... hopefully I don't have to, but I'll definitely keep this in mind, should the unfortunate case arise.

Back