I GOT OUT!

l.jpg

I'm in training to be a reactor operator at a nuke plant.
Congratulations and good luck! Are you at Brown's Ferry?
I was an operator at a nuclear plant for ten years ('99-'09). I was the only non-Navy nuke in our entire class when I started. It was an okay job for about the first five years, and the money was good, but I got tired of all the management BS after a few years and eventually grew to absolutely hate it. Some of the same guys I went to class with are still doing it though. Most of them hate it too, but it's all they know how to do. There are a couple of "dig-its" too, but they seem to be the exception, not the norm.
I didn't want to stay where I was, and I didn't want to become an SRO either (I wanted out of OPS) so I took a different position in the same company in 2009. I make about 40% less now than I did as an operator, but I'm SO MUCH happier. QOL went up ~300%+. I learned that money alone doesn't make me happy.
I've always wanted to fly though and I'm still trying to figure out how to leave here and do that. Maybe I'll figure it out someday, maybe I won't, but I'll always be trying.

Yeh, I'm at BFN. I think I'll probably try and stay an AUO. No need to be the RO or SRO. The stress levels just are not worth the extra pay.

Congrats on your gig Tram! I just got on at a chemical plant as a process operator. We got plants all over the place here in Texas! Both definitely great alternatives for someone trying to get out of the regional grind.

Back