I GOT OUT!

What quals/skills they need to be considered?

Nothing too special..

In order to be considered for this training program, a candidate must have two years of Algebra 1 or higher at the high school or college level and must meet one of the criteria below:
  • Technical degree related to power production from a two or four year regionally accredited educational institution (i.e. SACS accreditation); or
  • Non-technical degree from a two or four year regionally accredited educational institution (i.e. SACS accreditation); or
  • Formal craft apprenticeship (fossil only); or
  • Other equivalencies such as certain military training (related to power industry) or completion of a certain number of college hours (which include technical classes); or
  • Other equivalencies that are evaluated on a one-on-one basis by recruiters
Candidates for nuclear trainee program must also have completed chemistry and physics at the high school or college level.

I work as a plant operator at a large coal plant...was hired in part due to my aviation background(CFI)...and could not take the pay cut to stay in aviation (CFI or the regionals). Operations pays good at about 80k to well over 100k in you want to work overtime, great perks, health care, 401k with a 9% match. The down side is you will many weekends and afternoon or night shift for years. Due to living close to the plant (6 miles) my time away from home averages 8.4 hours per day and no long duty days that I get paid for less than half the time. Still have a part time CFI work and fly Angel flights every few weeks. Still have SJS but can't make it pay. Also have a coworker who was a C-J driver and lost his charter gig.

I work as a plant operator at a large coal plant...was hired in part due to my aviation background(CFI)...and could not take the pay cut to stay in aviation (CFI or the regionals). Operations pays good at about 80k to well over 100k in you want to work overtime, great perks, health care, 401k with a 9% match. The down side is you will many weekends and afternoon or night shift for years. Due to living close to the plant (6 miles) my time away from home averages 8.4 hours per day and no long duty days that I get paid for less than half the time. Still have a part time CFI work and fly Angel flights every few weeks. Still have SJS but can't make it pay. Also have a coworker who was a C-J driver and lost his charter gig.

Sounds about right. Fossil guys here make about that. Nuke worker pay is about 30% more here.

Shift work here as well.. 7a to 7p or 7p to 7a.. Typical schedule is 4 on/3 off, 3 on/4 off and every 5th week is a stretch of 7 days off and you are off 3 out of 4 weekends/month with generally equal night/day shifts.

I received better than 150% pay raise to enter training in the program by leaving the regionals.

401K match is $1 on every $1.25 we put in.
I'm paying less per month than I was paying per check in insurance and I've maxed out all the options, D&D, etc.

Dare I ask what the pay range is about at a nuclear plant worker? I've thought about maintaining wind turbines, but I think I'll keep on the UAS track. Still interesting to know what your new field averages.

I'm in training to be a reactor operator at a nuke plant.
My old man retired from Watts Bar I believe as a Unit Supervisor a couple of years back, did some stints at the training center there, wrote clearances and procedures. He's contracting at Robinson in SC now writing procedures and loves it.
Thats an awesome work schedule, too.

Dare I ask what the pay range is about at a nuclear plant worker? I've thought about maintaining wind turbines, but I think I'll keep on the UAS track. Still interesting to know what your new field averages.

I only know the pay rates for the company I'm at. I started at better than 6th year CA pay at my former airline. While in training, I'll go through 4 pay raises in the next 18 months. By the end of 18 months, I'll be doing right around 16-17 year CA pay as base pay. Once I get out of training and am on shift, the pay more than I'd ever make at my previous airline.

My old man retired from Watts Bar I believe as a Unit Supervisor a couple of years back, did some stints at the training center there, wrote clearances and procedures. He's contracting at Robinson in SC now writing procedures and loves it.
Thats an awesome work schedule, too.

Sweet.. :)

Thanks. :)

So far, I really enjoy it.
Wait until the giant paychecks come in and you're not working on the weekend... or you work on the weekend and make a ton of money to buy yourself a Medium sized Green Egg, and then after two more weekend work you decide you really should have bought the extra large and sell me the Medium used.

or something

I've made up my mind. I'm going to go live in a trailer down by the river. I hear it's a simple life, and quite possibly I'll share my experiences to young adults who are confused in life some day.

Back