I got called for a skywest interview today! ( But not to Fly for them)

mrivc211

Ok, well I don't know if anyones noticed, BUT I've mentioned here and there that I'm working on something that MAY get me in with skywest as a pilot some day. As it turns out, a couple of people that I know who work for skywest as pilots have confirmed that on more than one occasions(s), skywest will hire employees that work in a different position as pilots. As long as they meet the requirements of 1000 TT and 100 ME.
So instead of walking around with my head down, I decided that my inability to network because of my current place of employement will not stop me from getting a job with skywest. I decided to apply for a cross utilized agent position with them at their Palm Springs Base. From what I hear, palm springs is also a training run for them, and rampers sometimes hop on some of the rides. Needless to say, I went to PSP, carlsbad, LAX, San diego, all in search and hopes for them to hire me on. I was willing to make the commute from Orange County to any of those locations.

Three months had gone by, and I had not received any phone calls or letters. I personally hand delivered all of the applications to all the station managers and made it a point to shake their hands and put my name in their heads.

To no avail!

Well late the other night, I was surfing the web, and I stumbled upon a skywest website. I put two and two together, and was able to figure out what the station managers email address was at the Palm Springs location. I emailed him that night and POLITELY bugged him about an interview or whether they will be interviewing in teh near future. Two days later, I got called for an interview for the position.
So tommorrow is my interview. I haven't gotten the job yet, BUT I've made it this far. I've got nothing to lose! And only chances of success to gain!

Now, let me tell some of you guys about the bad things that I experienced along the way.

Many of the other CFI's I talked to said I was wasting my time. They told me it was a bad idea. I faced a lot of negative feedback on most ideas that I had. So I then decided to keep it too myself. I realized that not everyone will be happy about the good ideas you may have, or the advancements you may make.

The main, point to this......no don't go flattening their tires........the main point is......don't let it get you down. No matter how bad, keep your head up. I think positive.

Now I know this isn't even close to a pilot position, but it's my foot in the door if it happens. And thats much better than my foot out the door looking in.

Always do what YOU think is right, make the sacrifice and it may happen for you!

I only hope that the sacrifices that I've been making thus far, will prove to be wise decisions.

Sounds great!

I had a similiar experience earlier this week while taking my written exams. Since my school doesnt have their computer systems running yet, I chose to take my exams at the airport closest to where I live (besides I figured it would be a great excuse to meet new people). While I was taking a break after the first exam, I was chatting with the CFIs about the line of Bizjets waiting for departure. I was in awe over the list of people some of the guys had met, the experiences they had had and most importantly the planes they got to ride in. I commented that they had the best job. As I was getting ready to leave, the receptionist told me to hang on a minute because the manager wanted to talk with me and that he had some papers for me to fill out...this struck me as very odd. About twenty minutes later, this overly rushed guy brings me into his office, so we could discuss me having a part time job. I had to be honest about my intentions of moving in the next few months, so I dont think its going to work out. But atleast I had the experience and know a few more people!

You seem very motivated to get with them. I'm sure you will, with that Great attitude. Good luck..

P.s I'm sure those CFI 's are just standing around waiting for the HR guys to ask them if they want a Job.

My response to those CFI's would be.

Getto voice : "Bit*ch you aint no Super Star Athlete!! aint no agents gonna come asking you if you wanna sign with us. you gotta go fight for the job Fo !! "
grin.gif

Both of your stories remind me of my favorite quote right now. You both have made yourself available to the chance something good would happen to you. This is something that many people will not do, that is get up off their tosh and do something for themselves.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur

This is similar to my last favorite saying: "Luck is where chance and opportunity meet."

Where you moving to Skygirl?

I've heard that you can get your foot in the door at Skywest by working the ramp. Personally, I think it's a great idea for you. Just be sure to keep flying as much as possible and try to instruct on the side.

Good luck on the interview buddy!

[ QUOTE ]
my inability to network because of my current place of employement

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering... why?

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck on the interview buddy!

[ QUOTE ]
my inability to network because of my current place of employement

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering... why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jail.

[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering... why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's mainly a flying club, so it's not very well known, and we don't have sims for people to come in and use. It's a good place for building flight time, but thats it. The rest is upto you.

This is pretty much EXACTLY what I'm doing with SWA right now. Difference is you could CFI on the side until you get 1000 TT and then go into a pilot slot at SkyWest. No matter what, I'm gonna have to leave SWA to get the turbine time. It's a great networking opportunity. So far I've met the chief pilot in PHX (where I WANT to be based), and talk to the chief pilot in MCO all the time. Not to mention the pilots I see and talk to on a daily basis.

Back