I cannot find the perfect iPad kneeboard

In our Cherokee I have an ASA VFR clip board with velcro and a clip that is mountable to the yoke.
In the MEtro I either lay it on my lap or attached it via vlcro to the yoke mounted clip board.

My 10" android tablet has a flip book cover with a plastic/slightly rubbery coating. I just set it on my leg and it doesn't go anywhere, have never had it slide off.

My kneeboard is strapped to my right leg with my paper sectional & scratch paper, my iPad 2 sits on my left leg / across my lap for taxi charts / approach charts etc. I've only used the iPad in the Seminole, but not too much of an issue in my opinion. I've used my instructors iPad mini...too small for my taste.

I've found I really dislike putting info into the iPad (ATIS / Clearance / etc). I can write it down w/ a pen & paper much faster. Except at night I'll use Foreflight's scratchpad...just easier to see.

I've been looking at getting an ipad kneeboard for almost a year now but never quite gotten to it. I got used to using a yoke clip that just clipped on top of the yoke (rather than in front of it) in the 172 for all my paper approach plates during IFR training... Does anyone have any experience with the yoke clips for an ipad? I feel like it might be too big and block out some of the instruments in such a tight cockpit.

The side pocket on the X works great. I brief the approach and write the tower and ground freq down. Then I put the iPad away. In the taxi I will take it out if I need to reference the 10-9.

Since I started this thread I have actually sold my iPad 3 and bought a Mini. I am not going to use a kneeboard they just get in the way. I just stick it in the side pocket when not in use.

I just bought an iPad mini the other day... so far, so good in-flight. I desperately need to find a case for it, but I had to add any bulk or weight to it. I have grown away from the kneeboard, but I just need something stable, yet protective for use in a Cessna and the mighty PA44.

ForPilotsOnly.com, mentioned earlier, has a new kneeboard and a new yoke mount for the iPad mini. Since you asked, here are some pictures:

ipad-mini-kneeboard-5.jpg

ipad-yoke-mount-4.jpg

MyClip Thigh/Kneeboard for iPad and iPad 2

416JqkIS38L._SY300_.jpg

I've been using this one for a couple of years, and it still works great. Minimalist, stuffs in my flight bag, and takes up almost no room.

Back