I bypassed upgrade. Discuss

It's fantastic so far. The kids are happy, and the wife is happy. Now, if we can figure out where to go while we're in the Dakotas while Sturgis is going on, everybody will be happy.

Pics coming very soon. YouTube not so much as I haven't filmed a single second of content yet.
Sounds awesome! Let me know if you end up in the Northwest.

If you start a blog, let me know. I had to get off Facebook, so you can always shoot me a message here.

Sounds awesome! Let me know if you end up in the Northwest.

If you start a blog, let me know. I had to get off Facebook, so you can always shoot me a message here.
We'll be in the NW next spring/summer. I'll keep you informed. We're still trying to find places to winter in AZ and figure out Sturgis. We forgot bike week is a thing when we're scheduled there. No chance of changing our plans now either due to other reservations/plans that aren't flexible.

Also, I don't blame you on FB. It's absolutely toxic right now.

I don't really understand the question. You look at QOL vs money. I bypassed Capt upgrade by probably a decade. Didn't want to live in base and didn't want to be junior. To each their own. What kind of RV do you have. I'm looking at a smaller class A motorhome, used, around 50K.

I don't really understand the question. You look at QOL vs money. I bypassed Capt upgrade by probably a decade. Didn't want to live in base and didn't want to be junior. To each their own. What kind of RV do you have. I'm looking at a smaller class A motorhome, used, around 50K.
It's mostly a trolling of @Maximilian_Jenius since he's posted numerous times on my upgrade on FB. All meant in humor and nothing malicious. ;)

We have a 2016 Fleetwood Excursion 35E, 37 foot diesel pusher. We sold our house and a rental property while the market is hot, and we're touring the US for the next year+.

Our home on wheels before new tires and a bath:

20210309_133130_HDR.jpg

Badass. My wife’s sister and her family (husband and two young kids) are doing the same thing, and they just started their journey about two weeks ago. They’re awesome people and have the perfect mentally for it.

How much would you say on average are you paying per month for site fees and depreciation? My wife and I are very interested in possibly doing this, but we’re not sure about the finances of it yet.

Badass. My wife’s sister and her family (husband and two young kids) are doing the same thing, and they just started their journey about two weeks ago. They’re awesome people and have the perfect mentally for it.

How much would you say on average are you paying per month for site fees and depreciation? My wife and I are very interested in possibly doing this, but we’re not sure about the finances of it yet.
I've been avoiding crunching numbers so far, but will probably do that when I'm done with this rotation at the end of the month. I'll let you know exact numbers then. I will say it's not a cheap lifestyle. I'd guess we're averaging about $45 per day for a campsite. Some are higher. We're going to be staying with family the next 2 months while I'm at work, so that'll help the numbers.

We're going to upgrade our battery bank and put solar on the roof so we can take advantage of boondocking, especially as we head out west and start using BLM land to camp on. That'll make our numbers go down, but that's a hefty investment itself. Batteries are ~$1000 per battery, and I have 4 batteries.

We're not trying to save money with this though, and are treating it as an adventure for the family, and a learning experience for the kids.

Last edited:
We should have a NJC meeting in Quartzite with our RV's. 37 is too big for me. I'd be scared to drive it. I want to start with something smaller and see how it goes. Just me and maybe a couple cats.

We should have a NJC meeting in Quartzite with our RV's. 37 is too big for me. I'd be scared to drive it. I want to start with something smaller and see how it goes. Just me and maybe a couple cats.
How big is the airplane you fly?? Haha.

It's all relative. I've driven 1500 miles so far and am getting used to it. Pushers are so much easier to drive, believe it or not. They're more stable with the air shocks, and more power. They're also better with big rigs going by since we're a more comparable size to them. Our rig weighs about 26,000 pounds. We'll see how it is when I'm going over mountains though.

Last edited:

It's all relative. I've driven 1500 miles so far and am getting used to it. Pushers are so much easier to drive, believe it or not. They're more stable with the air shocks, and more power. They're also better with big rigs going by since we're a more comparable size to them. Our rig weighs about 26,000 pounds. We'll see how it is when I'm going over mountains though.

If you find yourself driving through Yuma, AZ on I-8 and need any parts or service let me know. My family owns RvWorld (www.rvworldyuma.com). We Have been one of the top FleetWood dealers and service centers for about 30 years.

See, this is the kind of adventure we can all participate in. You have been warned. :)

Are you going to be eastbound at all? Because, y'know, I'm building a lot of XC time lately....

See, this is the kind of adventure we can all participate in. You have been warned. :)

Are you going to be eastbound at all? Because, y'know, I'm building a lot of XC time lately....
Yeah, that's why I think this'll be a couple of years on the road...we're going to be in the PNW next spring and plan on still doing the East coast. My guess is we'll head that way next summer and winter in South Florida. I'll definitely let you know and we'll have a meet up.

If you find yourself driving through Yuma, AZ on I-8 and need any parts or service let me know. My family owns RvWorld (www.rvworldyuma.com). We Have been one of the top FleetWood dealers and service centers for about 30 years.
That's awesome. I'll definitely keep it in mind. I'll put this on my list and make sure to stop in to the shop when we're there.

Back