I am on my way to being a professional pilot!

remingtonbox

I told myself I was not going to sign up for JetCareers unless I had at least a PPL, I didn't want to be a poser. As of a week ago, I have my PMEL license and I am working on my Instrument training here at KIWA at ATP.

I hope to have a long and enjoyable aviation career and I thank those on this forum for all of the knowledge they have imparted through their threads.

Remington

I went to ATP in IWA a couple months back, there are some great instructors out there. Hopefully you get Mark or Adrian at some point. They are great pilots who will teach you a lot. Who was your checkride with?

Cool! I have Mark right now for instrument, I had Tiffon for PPL and Berry for MEL. I passed my instrument written last night so now I am working on oral prep.

How did you like ATP overall?

Scheef is a great instructor. I had Berry for my MEL and CSEL. ATP has its positives and negatives. They throw a lot at you and hope that it sticks. I think ATP trains you to pass your checkride as opposed to ensuring that you have a lot of knowledge. If you go to CFI school then you will really figure out how much of it stuck. All in all I am happy with my ATP experience. The guys at IWA were awesome to fly with, and all of the variables out there help you to become a better pilot.

I had Scheef for my instrument too. Definatly a good one, though on more than one occasion I threatened to reach over open the door and drop him out of the Seminole, but that was usually after my fifth partial panel approach in a row bouncing back and forth between Coolidge and Casa Grande. We also got to go down to Marana and do some NDB work at one point.

I had Scheef for my instrument too. Definatly a good one, though on more than one occasion I threatened to reach over open the door and drop him out of the Seminole, but that was usually after my fifth partial panel approach in a row bouncing back and forth between Coolidge and Casa Grande. We also got to go down to Marana and do some NDB work at one point.

I was about to do that today, we flew the GPS into Collidge, VOR into Marana, VOR into Collidge, ILS into Gateway and VOR-C into Scottsdale... all in about an hour and a half. I am struggling at times, I am excelling at times, but I would have to say, this flying thing is about 95% fun at this point :)

Didn't know I was a poser... :oops: LOL

Welcome to JC! And congrats on the ticket, hope to join ya this week... If the weather cooperates.

I was about to do that today, we flew the GPS into Collidge, VOR into Marana, VOR into Collidge, ILS into Gateway and VOR-C into Scottsdale... all in about an hour and a half. I am struggling at times, I am excelling at times, but I would have to say, this flying thing is about 95% fun at this point :)

Ask him to do the Valley Rally for your 10 takeoffs and landings at night. He loves that thing.

And while you are still doing your IRA see if you can find a Seminole with an ADF and ask Mark if he will do NDB holds over KCKY and the approach down at Marana. I know there's one in 827AT, but most of the other planes with ADFs are Cessnas.

Welcome to JC & Congrats, but realize there are a lot of folks here who aren't pilots. Aviation is something everyone can enjoy, we just use @Dergs "living room" to do so. Since you're in PHX you should take advantage of the multiple M&G's folks organize out there and meet some members in person...it's a great experience.

Keep your eyes on a swivel when you're down by Casa Grande...airplanes everywhere!

I had Tiffon for PPL and Berry for MEL.

I had no idea Tiffon was doing rides still. 8 years ago we had to take students down to Nogales if we wanted to do a ride with him, which was something that the JAX office staff almost never approved unless we were desperate to cover a checkride.

Congrats on getting started.

Scheef is a great instructor. I had Berry for my MEL and CSEL. ATP has its positives and negatives. They throw a lot at you and hope that it sticks. I think ATP trains you to pass your checkride as opposed to ensuring that you have a lot of knowledge. If you go to CFI school then you will really figure out how much of it stuck. All in all I am happy with my ATP experience. The guys at IWA were awesome to fly with, and all of the variables out there help you to become a better pilot.

James Berry? I did my Instrument ride with him out in the West Valley back in 2007.

I can't remember if it was him or Tom Funk (My PPL DPE) who has a huge obsession with Mexican Coke in a glass bottle...

And while you are still doing your IRA see if you can find a Seminole with an ADF and ask Mark if he will do NDB holds over KCKY and the approach down at Marana. I know there's one in 827AT, but most of the other planes with ADFs are Cessnas.
786A as well

Back