Husky Flight

jskibo

Done
Had a chance to go up with one of our division presidents who owns a nice Aviat Husky today (he's taking delivery of a personal C208 and building a Huge hangar at Lunkin as well.....pretty impressive)

Really sweet airplane and we flew over our Peebles Jet Engine test cells.

Few pics from the flight

IMG_20170707_113403.jpg
IMG_20170707_113413.jpg
IMG_20170707_115857.jpg
IMG_20170707_122434.jpg
IMG_20170707_122659.jpg
IMG_20170707_122711.jpg
IMG_20170707_122733.jpg
IMG_20170707_123828.jpg
IMG_20170707_132458.jpg
IMG_20170707_133159.jpg

Last edited:
Cool. I don't think I have seen wheel pants on a Husky like that before. How long are you around Cinncinatti?

Oh cool. I saw the flyer on the Sky Lounge restaurant door, didn't know it would be you. I'll head out there and force the kids to look at planes with me :)

Good deal. Come find me! I wont be getting in until around noon on Friday then staying for the weekend.

Oh there's tundra tires in the hangar. He's doing Miami and Oshkosh trips so didn't want the drag.
If I were going OSH and I could afford a caravan. I would put the biggest, bad-ass-ed tundra tires on the thing and say (with all due respect to farragut) damned the drag full speed ahead.

A guy did that a few years ago in a Helio Courier

346-240411101212.jpeg
The Garret is cool, but the utility of having a plane with only 1.5 hours endurance or there abouts isn't of much use.
The nosewheel on a helio is more gag inducing as wheel pants on a husky. At least you can take the wheel pants off.

The Garret is cool, but the utility of having a plane with only 1.5 hours endurance or there abouts isn't of much use.
The nosewheel on a helio is more gag inducing as wheel pants on a husky. At least you can take the wheel pants off.

From an article on it:

So, How Does It Fly?

“There is no way you can push a Helio faster than 135 knots indicated, even with 750 horsepower,” Jay says. “However, up at altitude, around 17,500 feet where we’re limited by tail pipe temps, we’re truing 150 knots—and that’s with 38-inch tires, which isn’t too shabby. We have Kevlar oxygen tanks onboard and can go for five hours at that altitude. Plus, with that prop and the flaps, we can slow down and come whistling downhill at over 3,000 fpm.”

The power does show up on takeoff, though. With 20 degrees of flaps, the airplane is rotated after a 300-foot ground roll. It makes 2,400 fpm with a 2,000-pound payload and can maintain that climb attitude all the way up to 24,000 feet, with an average climb rate of 2,000 fpm.

“The engine is a constant speed turbine, so your thrust lever is changing the blade angle, which gives very precise control of your thrust. This really helps on short field approaches and rollouts,” Jay says. “The second we touchdown, we can go into beta on the prop and stop easily in 200 feet. The brakes, by the way, are off a Caravan, so they help a lot too.”

Also installed is an Ayers/Thrush Ag Air spray system, which so far has not been deployed in anger.

“We can drop right down over our campsite and spray it for mosquitoes,” Jay says. “We could easily become the most popular airplane at some of the Northwest fly-ins, where mosquitoes are a real problem.”

What are their current plans for the airplane?

Jay grins and says, “Hey, what else? We’re going to take it out and get it dirty. Really dirty.” And both of them start laughing hysterically.

Garrett TPE-331-6 (750 SHP) (MU-2) with water injection (200hp boost), super swamper tires 38" on the mains, F-101 Voodoo nose wheel assembly. Extended wing span from airfoil shaped 27 gal tip tanks for a total of 175 gallons of Jet-A....Empty weight 3400 pounds. And a 106" prop....!!!!​

This fits the definition of abuse in my mind.

From an article on it:

So, How Does It Fly?

“There is no way you can push a Helio faster than 135 knots indicated, even with 750 horsepower,” Jay says. “However, up at altitude, around 17,500 feet where we’re limited by tail pipe temps, we’re truing 150 knots—and that’s with 38-inch tires, which isn’t too shabby. We have Kevlar oxygen tanks onboard and can go for five hours at that altitude. Plus, with that prop and the flaps, we can slow down and come whistling downhill at over 3,000 fpm.”

The power does show up on takeoff, though. With 20 degrees of flaps, the airplane is rotated after a 300-foot ground roll. It makes 2,400 fpm with a 2,000-pound payload and can maintain that climb attitude all the way up to 24,000 feet, with an average climb rate of 2,000 fpm.

“The engine is a constant speed turbine, so your thrust lever is changing the blade angle, which gives very precise control of your thrust. This really helps on short field approaches and rollouts,” Jay says. “The second we touchdown, we can go into beta on the prop and stop easily in 200 feet. The brakes, by the way, are off a Caravan, so they help a lot too.”

Also installed is an Ayers/Thrush Ag Air spray system, which so far has not been deployed in anger.

“We can drop right down over our campsite and spray it for mosquitoes,” Jay says. “We could easily become the most popular airplane at some of the Northwest fly-ins, where mosquitoes are a real problem.”

What are their current plans for the airplane?

Jay grins and says, “Hey, what else? We’re going to take it out and get it dirty. Really dirty.” And both of them start laughing hysterically.

Garrett TPE-331-6 (750 SHP) (MU-2) with water injection (200hp boost), super swamper tires 38" on the mains, F-101 Voodoo nose wheel assembly. Extended wing span from airfoil shaped 27 gal tip tanks for a total of 175 gallons of Jet-A....Empty weight 3400 pounds. And a 106" prop....!!!!​
But there's no need for a 300ft ground roll if you can't take off and land in places that require that. The nosewheel has to go. It's as useless as the CH701/801's are for STOL. None of the speed and a complete inability to land where you actually need STOL.

This fits the definition of abuse in my mind.
I really loled at "getting it dirty". Where? The local charted airport? :rolleyes:
Unless they have a specific mission in mind and this'll work for that one thing, I've never seen a more useless Helio.

But there's no need for a 300ft ground roll if you can't take off and land in places that require that. The nosewheel has to go. It's as useless as the CH701/801's are for STOL. None of the speed and a complete inability to land where you actually need STOL.

I really loled at "getting it dirty". Where? The local charted airport? :rolleyes:
Unless they have a specific mission in mind and this'll work for that one thing, I've never seen a more useless Helio.

71c3931c1edc4353a0c03ec549753b965872a2c343c09255617f4470cbd924ed.jpg

Back