hurricane

SEAN

Answer me this....its sprinkling outside, no wind, overcast. No hurricane forecast till after 8 tonite in northern virginia. Why is school and the dc/federal govts closed? ANd why is there no bread or milk or bottled water on the shelves. Ok, so we lose services for a little while, but by noon tomorrow it will be clear and sunny. Why do people get so spun up. I am blaming this one on the media.

Well I cant talk for the fed govt or the schools, other than if they make the kids go to school it might hamper evacuation efforts later.
As for only losing services for a little while? When Hurricance Floyd skirted Florida back in 99 (or 98?) With the little damage that occured on my property I was still with out power for 4 days. Phone was out nearly a week. Isabel is going to do far worse damage then Floyd did. I heard this morning of a 10 foot surge carrying waves over 40 feet.. I pray that was an exaggeration by the news.

Good luck to all in its path.

The reason we're out of school is so they can prepare the selters and start letting people in. I couldn't imagine having to walk through school form class to class with 70 year olds in sleeping bags on the floor.
grin.gif

im not talking about coastal areas, i am referring to people in downtown dc and metro areas, wher ethe worst they will see is some wind damage and heavy rain overnight. flooding in some lowlying areas, but none of that till closer to tomorrow morning. I truly pray for those on coastal regions.

[ QUOTE ]
im not talking about coastal areas, i am referring to people in downtown dc and metro areas, wher ethe worst they will see is some wind damage and heavy rain overnight. flooding in some lowlying areas, but none of that till closer to tomorrow morning. I truly pray for those on coastal regions.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the Potomac? Aren't there any creeks that can overflow or anything. I wouldn't want to be on a school bus in 60mph winds.
tongue.gif
Why does it matter any way? Let us kids have a break
grin.gif
Did DC declare a state of emergency?

nah, its not the kids being out that I am talking about, that is just an "aside" to the fact that when i went to the grocery store last night to get my normal ration for the week the only bread on the shelves was that expensive gourmet stuff. There wer eonly, maybe, 10 gallons of milk in the cooler. Why do people go into a frenzy when this stuff hits. I understand that snow we had last winter, but this will be gone in 24 hours. Whatever, I am just venting one of my pet peeves. Looks likes it picking up a bit now though. and the flooding will take plce on waterfront property, but in my area there arent too many creekside houses....modern suburbia

You're right. I watched people leave the grocery store with enough stuff for a month! I'm thinking, okay, folks, I sure as hell hope that's non-perishable, because if it isn't and you lose power, you are so screwed.

It's just now starting to get bad here in the DC area -- a couple of hours earlier, things were just like a windy, cold winter rain -- and they closed everything down for that?

I'm fine with taking reasonable precautions. Yeah, get a little bottled water, some flashlight batteries, some non-perishable food. But you know what? You can fit that in a shopping basket. You don't need a completely full shopping cart for the things that you need to ride the storm out.

But then, these are the same people who say things like "I'm glad I got my SUV" when the folks predict an inch of snow and buy a month's worth of TP, water, milk, bread, and eggs!

tonyw, what did ya think? pretty wild at points last night. although today we have no power and no WATER!!! i cant even use the toilet at my work , and they are making us all leave
cool.gif
So, looks like i have some time to re-erect the fence in my back yard, and take the tree limbs out of my bushes. Hope everyone made it ok. And that statement I made earlier about having too much was a little off. No water sucks....ill be bathing using culligan bottled water tonite.

You know, I thought I was going to get through the hurricane unscathed. It was about a quarter of midnight on Thursday night, right before I went to bed, when the lights went out. I didn't get power until yesterday evening.

But I didn't think it was as bad as the media hype. Yes, there were downed trees, and the power went out, and a lot of stoplights were damaged and not working. And there was some minor flooding, too.

But it wasn't like they made it out to be!

The real risk, in my opinion, is that people will see how overhyped this was and then the next time, they won't take the necessary precautions. Then they will get hurt!

Back