How's UPS Doing?

CK

How\'s UPS Doing?

My mom's in the hiring pool with UPS (has been sence 9-5-01), just wondering if they're going to be doing any hire in the next year of so or if they're going to evaporate the pool.

Thanks

Re: How\'s UPS Doing?

The official word from management is they aren't going to hire next year. The company gains nothing by saying or predicting when they will hire. In fact, it makes them look fiscally responsible during a downturn by looking like they will do less with more...they want fewer pilots working harder. What will really drive hiring is two things. The boxes stop moving because guys call in fatigue when the worst of the schedules reach a certain point. Or, when we get a new contract that forces them to hire and gives the age 60plus F/E's a reason to retire.

Now...nevermind that UPS isn't really in a downturn...they have continued to make money during the weak economy. Just not as much as they used to.

As far as the pool goes, I have no idea how that will work. Not sure what your mom makes or how she likes her job but she should consider the possibility that she is better off being in the pool rather being a super junior F/E stuck on reserve in Louisville.

The good news is there has been some upward progression of the seniority list. They just keep on taking guys off the 727 rather than hiring. I decided to bail off the 727 before there is nothing left but bad trips. 757 school starts in mid-March.

Good luck in 757 groundschool. Did you know that the 757 is the reason that the FAA changed the "heavy" designation from 300,000 pounds or greater, to 255,000 lbs. MGTOW? Supposedly, that thing has some SERIOUS wake turbulance, so they wanted ATC to treat it like a jumbo.

But it is only the ATA 752 and all 753 that are heavy - the rest are too light.

I think the FAA considers the 757 a heavy, though the max takeoff weight doesn't meet the standard. I guess I'll find out soon enough. Iain...what happened? You hardly post anymore....

[ QUOTE ]
I think the FAA considers the 757 a heavy, though the max takeoff weight doesn't meet the standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

The FAA includes the 757 in the heavy category with respect to wake turbulence because it's vortices can be as lethal as those from a heavy aircraft. This believed to be caused by the unusually (for a large jet) wide, uninterrupted trailing-edge flaps .

I discovered the hard way one day that the 757 will rock your world a lot more than a 777 would. Yeeoow!

Come on, Taylor...you can't tease us like that and not tell the story!
mad.gif

I had my world seriously rocked by a Ba146 once....I did NOT enjoy it.

[ QUOTE ]
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Even the new 737-800's are pretty fierce. I kept three miles in trail going into KSLC one day and as I'm in the transition to flare, it took a lot of big yoke action to keep from dragging a wing as I hit the wake. And at that point, I had ZERO authority from the stabilizer so I had to arrest the descent rate purely with an application of power.

Another reason to land with the engines spooled up!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Even the new 737-800's are pretty fierce. I kept three miles in trail going into KSLC one day and as I'm in the transition to flare, it took a lot of big yoke action to keep from dragging a wing as I hit the wake. And at that point, I had ZERO authority from the stabilizer so I had to arrest the descent rate purely with an application of power.

Another reason to land with the engines spooled up!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you learn to fly out of SNA - you are probably in the top 5% of wake turbulance savy pilots out there!

Back