how to tell if an airport is VFR

i just do it like this
KLAX 130453Z 33004KT 10SM FEW250 16/12 A3006 RMK AO2 SLP176 T01610117

VFR

KDPA 130433Z 19006KT 1/2SM R02L/1800FT FG
VV001 09/08 A2983 RMK AO2

Not VFR haha

How about visibility 3 miles and ceiling at least Traffic pattern altitute +500?
The cloud clearances are pilot requirements; the 1000' ceiling applies to whether the airport is VFR. IOW, with an 1100' ceiling, VFR traffic is permitted to takeoff and land at the airport, although to not violate the cloud clearance rule, the pilot could fly the pattern at 600 AGL. (one of my favorite flight review questions involves this scenario)

The question sounded like it was asking "how to tell if an airport is in VFR or IFR conditions." Cap't Caucasian, the first responded, gave the correct answer.

Not every airport that's IFR has the beacon on. Best stick with the ceiling and vis for the class of airspace at the airport surface.

On a side note, careful with that Chinese buffet in Salina. I rolled through there on a delivery flight the other week and got "grounded" at my next fuel stop.

(Terms I considered besides "grounded" include: "Held for Release", "Ground Stop", "Cleared to pu..." Grounded sounded best.)

lmao! which chinese buffet did you go to? i havent made it to any of them yet...

just an update: the 3 miles vis and 1000 ft is what he was looking for...thank you guys for your help...now just wish me luck on my instrument written in a couple weeks:confused:

My DPE asked me a similar question on my commercial oral, but he asked it in a way that I first answered the same thing...3 miles and 152. He then reiterated the question which made me realize what he asked could have been construed both ways and I then answered 3 miles 1k feet ceiling.

I will say this though, although I don't have a lot of experience, I have shot approaches in soup and gone missed at the MDA. If you are VFR and trying to make an approach at minimums...it isn't fun!

My DPE asked me a similar question on my commercial oral, but he asked it in a way that I first answered the same thing...3 miles and 152. He then reiterated the question which made me realize what he asked could have been construed both ways and I then answered 3 miles 1k feet ceiling.

I will say this though, although I don't have a lot of experience, I have shot approaches in soup and gone missed at the MDA. If you are VFR and trying to make an approach at minimums...it isn't fun!

You mean if you're on a special here? Not sure what your getting at.

i havent got logged any actual yet...hopefully thats coming within the next few weeks....but im not sure if its going to be warm enough...dang icing.

Not every airport that's IFR has the beacon on. Best stick with the ceiling and vis for the class of airspace at the airport surface.

On a side note, careful with that Chinese buffet in Salina. I rolled through there on a delivery flight the other week and got "grounded" at my next fuel stop.

(Terms I considered besides "grounded" include: "Held for Release", "Ground Stop", "Cleared to pu..." Grounded sounded best.)

Flow control.......restroom-ready-reserve.....Ok, I go.......

just an update: the 3 miles vis and 1000 ft is what he was looking for...thank you guys for your help...now just wish me luck on my instrument written in a couple weeks:confused:
Good luck.

The thing you might want to take away from this discussion is that your head is filled with a lot of knowledge and information. The trick is to know which of it is relevant to the question being asked.

Here, notice that just because you were asked a question that had something to do with VFR, it doesn't mean that the questioner wants to know everything you've ever heard on the subject. What they really want to know is that you can use the information in your head and apply it to a specific set of circumstances - something you need to do in the cockpit, especially as an instrument pilot.

Meaning that if you are simply a private pilot, that flying into any airport at minimums for VFR isn't any fun.

Good luck with the rest of your training. Just a tip for future checkrides and stage checks: answer the question and stop there. It sounds like you answered the question how he wanted you to. It was the extra information you volunteered that got you in trouble.

Back