How to get CFI/II

CFmike

Hi guys,

New guy here working on my single and multi commercial from the right seat and it is a blast. I'll plan on starting my CFI/II soon after. I just wanted a ballpark estimate on how long and how much it costed you guys to get it. The arrow here is 150 an hour!

Also Random question: Do updrafts flow in a circular motion?

Hi guys,

New guy here working on my single and multi commercial from the right seat and it is a blast. I'll plan on starting my CFI/II soon after. I just wanted a ballpark estimate on how long and how much it costed you guys to get it. The arrow here is 150 an hour!

Also Random question: Do updrafts flow in a circular motion?

Well it depends?... 141 or 61? Do you know most of your info? etc... etc...

If your already flying from the right seat... props for you! Thats one of the hardest parts of working on your CFI. If your already doing that, I recommend going 61 that way you don't spend much time flying. For 141, you need somewhere around 25 hours, which is ridiculous IMO. At our school, students fly an average of 8-12 hours for their CFI (under 61), plus how much ground they need. for I/II, thats 3 writtens plus (depending on how much you know), whatever ground you need with an instructor. I would budget probably another couple k to be on the safe side but, like anything in aviation, it depends on the student.

And for that Arrow... wow!! I haven't seen it that bad yet, of course, I'm in the northern part of the country.

Good luck with everything!

Ya the price is outrageous for the first series Arrow (early 70's i think maybe?) with the short stubby wings and no breaks on the right seat haha, but I really like the way it handles. It is a bit more responsive.

I am flying under part 61 which is a breath of fresh air coming from the embry-riddle 141/142 program.

I am studying as much as I can at home and digging up my old notes just to try and stay fresh.

Thanks for the help, I can't wait to get going again. Just waiting for the fasfa to go through and get some more loans! :banghead:

I did 2 ground lessons and I think 3 flights for my CFI training. I worked as a manager of the FBO/Flight School at the time, and had worked there for a couple of years, so I was pretty familiar with the FAR/AIM and got to do a lot of free flying ferrying aircraft, so I felt comfortable. I did my lesson plans on my own and practiced teaching things to my girlfriend.

For the average joe, I would say maybe 10 hours of ground and 10 hours of flight. I really don't see why it would take more if you are already proficient from the left seat in the aircraft and you do enough work outside of the school preparing and teaching.

Studying at home is free, and you need a lot of it. Do one or two lessons with a CFI then take up some friends and just practice teaching stuff.

First thing to get used to= flying from the right seat

Second thing= talking while flying

After that there is not much to it...haha

If you have the funds I would recommend just getting a hotel somewhere and leaving the cell and everything else at home. I find that when at home there are way too many distractions, but when in a hotel the only distraction is the TV and that is much easier to get rid of than all the people calling and such at home.

When I went to Florida I stayed in a hotel and my study habits increased a lot as the distractions at home were non-existent.

Ya I am actually the only one home over at the house I am renting at and pretty much all of my friends are gone too. They all went places over the summer.

This is a good time to maybe get some lesson plans started. I'm not sure where to start and how to format them. Are there any books or examples you guys used? Also what should I use to help write these plans? I'm guessing the PTS is a good place to start along with added supplemental material.

Ya I am actually the only one home over at the house I am renting at and pretty much all of my friends are gone too. They all went places over the summer.

This is a good time to maybe get some lesson plans started. I'm not sure where to start and how to format them. Are there any books or examples you guys used? Also what should I use to help write these plans? I'm guessing the PTS is a good place to start along with added supplemental material.
:yeahthat:
I used the PTS as a framework and fleshed it in with info from the FAA books. I used the PDF versions you can get directly from the FAA website so a lot of text and pictures and diagrams were cut and paste.

Whatever you do though, don't stress over having a perfect lesson plan. It is good to do them as you will learn a lot from making the plans, but they are not required for a CFI check ride.

Back