How tall is too tall?

There was a 6’5” or so guy who worked at 1 or 2 of the local Lear operators while he was on furlough from Murican. Word is he had to take the seat cushions clean off. Sounds miserable to me but in the bad old days of the late 00s-early 10s that’s what dudes were doing. Oh how the turntables….
Several taller dudes used to take the cushions out in the 35s if I remember. Still comfortable enough to…study the ceiling.

I would take the back cushion off the seat on longer flights in the freighter Lears so I could stretch out my legs. The passenger 35s I flew had the Ipeco seats that were bigger and more comfortable but since they were bigger they made the cockpit more cramped than what we had at Airnet. And you couldn’t take the cushions off of them either.

A few years ago I did upset recovery training at Calspan in their Lear 25 after not being in one for years. At the end of the ground school we went to the hangar for a briefing on the jet, how to work the door, emergency equipment, etc. I got in the cockpit with the instructor last and the first thing he asked after I sat down was how much time I had in Learjets, since only people that had been flying them for a while get in them like that.

Back