How tall is too tall?

MikeNovemberMike

I came, I saw, I went to bed....
There’s currently lots of opportunities out there for different types of aircraft. I was looking at the possibility of flying a Lear Jet and a pilot friend of mine cautioned that I (6’5”) would barely fit in the cockpit and probably be very uncomfortable really quick.

Is that the case in the Lear? Are there any other aircraft with similar challenges?

There’s currently lots of opportunities out there for different types of aircraft. I was looking at the possibility of flying a Lear Jet and a pilot friend of mine cautioned that I (6’5”) would barely fit in the cockpit and probably be very uncomfortable really quick.

Is that the case in the Lear? Are there any other aircraft with similar challenges?
Yea that's pretty tight in a Learjet. You never know until you try though.

The 45 series (40, 45, 70, 75) have a bit more room than the older 20 and 30 series. I don't know about the 55/60.

We had some pretty tall guys in the 45. Don't know details, but could be worth trying one on for size.

1675879706874.png

Your best bet is to sit in and see. Overall height isn't always a good judge of size, as individual dimensions like hip to knee or hip to shoulder could vary enough to make the difference between a tight fit and no-go.

Last edited:
My neck still hurts from the thousands of hours in a 20/30.

It's a great flying aircraft, though.

Don't fly a 55, they're roomy but everything about them will make you hate your life. Do fly a 60, it's a hot rod with performance only overshadowed by the 28 and it's got long legs, good engines and a lav with an external dump. I might be biased.

I'm 6'4" and fit in the 45. It's not the most comfortable plane I've flown, but it also has limited fuel capacity for long legs.

I’m 6’, and the 60 was about as tall as I wanted to be in that plane, with my body shape. Like said above, it depends on your dimensions. Some have smaller torsos, so you’ve really got to try it on to see if you fit.

Other Lears, I’ll leave to the guys who’ve flown them.

There was a 6’5” or so guy who worked at 1 or 2 of the local Lear operators while he was on furlough from Murican. Word is he had to take the seat cushions clean off. Sounds miserable to me but in the bad old days of the late 00s-early 10s that’s what dudes were doing. Oh how the turntables….

I’m 6’, and the 60 was about as tall as I wanted to be in that plane, with my body shape. Like said above, it depends on your dimensions. Some have smaller torsos, so you’ve really got to try it on to see if you fit.

Other Lears, I’ll leave to the guys who’ve flown them.
I’ve always been curious how different/similar the cockpit of the big-tube legacy Lears was to the 20/30 series. Seems like there should be more room but maybe not.

And that • altitude selector

Well yeah :bounce: I have some gripes about the systems and design, but I meant for height.

Fun fact, the 280 altitude knob goes by thousands unless you push it in, which makes it go by hundreds. It is really nice. Then you hop back in to the 45 for your next flight :bang:

I’ve always been curious how different/similar the cockpit of the big-tube legacy Lears was to the 20/30 series. Seems like there should be more room but maybe not.
I rode up front once on our 35s at an undisclosed operator so the FO could get a nap in. It’s definitely tighter than the 60, but I couldn’t tell you what the different cockpit dimensions were. I remember I felt like a bull in a China shop because every time I moved, it seemed like I was bumping into something. The 60 seemed to have more room, but I was also qualified to be up front for that one, and familiar with where everything was.

Back