How much should I be putting away?

Mathematically I definitely agree with maxing out the match on your 401(K)s then looking at a Roth IRA. Just starting down that road myself now, and I envy your ten year head start on me.

Also realize that it's more than you contributing to the whole picture now. We haven't spoken in quite some time so I don't know the specifics of your situation, but even if your wife isn't working she's a valuable asset to your overall economic picture. A professional Home Economist, if you will. I've seen people save loads off of super couponing, as one example.....

Learn from those who have come before you, especially their mistakes. People have mentioned Dave Ramsey, and I've been on record on this board as saying he's a good guy to get in your head. I would absolutely highlight his podcast as a way to quickly learn of what things NOT to do, as well as get a handle on his philosophy of life. Doing his series "Financial Peace University" will put you leagues ahead of your peers in financial knowledge.

As far as real estate, I've always thought that an owner occupied fourplex would be a great first home purchase, and a year or two beyond that purchase moving into a home that the profits off a fully occupied fourplex could more or less cover.

Lastly, start NOW on making some investments in your health. Not saying your out of shape, but your thirties will feel a lot different from your twenties if you let them. I recommend the book "Wheat Belly" as a good starting place.

Yeah, Dave Ramsey has a great deal of solid information.....there's also a fair bit of ultra-conservative information and that doesn't lend itself to sound money making ideas. Also in my opinion, his information would be much better if he could keep his religious views separate from the financial. All that said, I'm smart enough to filter the information and glean what I want and discard the rest.

Back