How Much Do Military Pilots Fly

IPad (10)

I was wondering the average time an pilot in the Air Force flies a month when there arn't any wars.

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering the average time an pilot in the Air Force flies a month when there arn't any wars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends. A transport guy will fly much more than a fighter guy due to the simple nature of the aircraft and mission. For fighter guys, the minimum number of sorties/month you're required to have varies based upon whether you're experienced/inexperienced, what combat classification you are, etc. On average, I get about 8-11 sorties/month for about 16-21 hours/month.

I fly for the Army National Guard and our minimums are the same as the Active Duty Force. It again depends on the Readiness Level, for me it means mins are 110 hrs. per year. I have done as many as 650 Hrs. a year when I was Active Duty (as Mike D said this is based on aircraft / mission, and I was flying fixed wing) the most I've flown as a guardsman was 275 hrs., last year because of my new job and not being able to fly for the guard as much I only flew 150 hrs., coupled with my 650 hrs. for my "real" job not a bad year.

Back