How many Multi hours should I have for insurance purposes?

JJ8Flyer

What do companies usually require a pilot to have to act as PIC in a multi aircraft? Is it 50 hours or 500?? I have a choice of finishing my commercial with 50 hours multi or finishing my commercial single engine and have 25 hours pic in a multi. I am planning on going to a sim center after training so I do not need a commercial multi rating. If I end up landing a job in a twin I can always go back and get the multi comm add on.

Re: How many Multi hours should I have for insurance purpose

What type of sim center?

I would say if you're going to have 25 hours PIC in a multi, you might as well get your PP MEL within 10-15 hours, and your Commercial MEL add-on in the additional 10 hours.

Or. . .get it during the 50 hours of ME PIC.

Why one would not get the ME add-on to a commercial certificate when they are flying 25-50 hours of time in a ME airplane as PIC . . .well . . . just makes me scratch my head.

Why one would not get the ME add-on to a commercial certificate when they are flying 25-50 hours of time in a ME airplane as PIC . . .well . . . just makes me scratch my head.

That's what I was wondering. If I remember right I earned my commercial multi add-on and MEI in a whopping 30 hours or so.

Exactly.

I got my PVT Multi Add-on at 15 hours. From hour 15.1 to 50 was multi cross country. From 50 to 59 was prep for Commercial Multi initial. 60.5 to 65 was MEI prep.

But - to each their own.

Get the multi time!!! It's hard to come by unless you're gonna get and use your MEI as well. The more multi the better.

An extra 25 hours of multi really isn't going to mean much in the long term except an extra couple grand out of pocket...

I don't follow the progression, why are you geting 25-50 hours in a twin but no commercial multi? Seems counterproductive. In addition, to even APPLY to get a job in a twin, you need a commerical multi ticket. So saying you will get it if you get the job, doesn't hold much water. Not trying to kill your plan or anything, just pointing that out.

To answer your question, it really is company dependent. I've seen 5 hours of PIC time in make and model to 200 to fly a piston twin. It all depends on their insurance and their premiums.

Guy's not asking what he should do regarding his multiengine training. He is asking what insurance companies require to act as PIC of a multi.

Why ask here? Contact some insurance companies and find out.

It all depends on the insurance company, and what you're willing to pay for insurance.

You can get insurance to fly a King Air with a PPL and 300 hours with no instrument rating, but be prepared to pay more for insurance per year than the fuel to fly the thing. (On a side note, no joke, talked to a guy a few months ago, who wanted to get his instrument rating since he was buying a Mustang and the insurance company required it. Trading his King Air in on the Mustang, and apparently he had been flying the King Air without an instrument rating. I didn't ask, but I can only imagine what his insurance premium was.)

I don't know how many hours you're going to need to make an insurance company happy, but a lot of places require a lot of time before they'll let you fly their multi-engine planes without an instructor present.

The lowest I've seen is 25 hours.

Back