How many more?

well they are owned by Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway. Been around since the 50's i think. (could be mistaken).

747 what are your aviation goals? tell us a little about your situation.

[ QUOTE ]
How many more years do you think that flight safety acadmey would last?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not trying to be a prick here or other posts, but what kinds of questions is this one? And every other one you have?

You need to realize that there are no guarantees in this industry. You may ant any time find your school or your employer out of business without any notice. This is a reality that comes with the decision to make it your career. FSI is not to my knowledge having any financial trouble, but this industry is so unpredictable that anybody could go down at any time. For now worry about getting a degree, then worry about getting your ratings, then when you are ready worry about getting hired somewhere. But understand that there is nothing is certain, and you may need to modify your plans along the way.

I am assuming that you are seeing stories of other schools closing and have worries about losing money? Flight Safety does not required you to pay for the entire program up front. They only require you to pay up front before the start of each ground school and to keep a pretty small minimum balance in your account with them (I think it was around $300 when I was there). None of this give us $50,000 up front stuff. Anyway given the background of the school and all that they have their hand in I would imagine they would only shut down if flying becomes obsolete.

[ QUOTE ]
well they are owned by Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway. Been around since the 50's i think. (could be mistaken).

747 what are your aviation goals? tell us a little about your situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im having a hard time trying to chose a flight school. I have 3 choices. Flight safety, westwind and Pan am. I was just of the phone with all three and they all seem to say the same thing. The cheapest one was Westwind and the more expensive one was Pan am. If you work for Pan am as a flight instructr, you only build 500 plus 300 from the flight training. If you work as a flight instructor for Westwind and Flight safety you would build more than 1000 hours and more than 100 Multi. The guy I was talking to at Pan am said that once you reach more than 800 hours that you get about 5 interviews with diffrent regionals. He said they have an airline agreement that once you reach about 800 hours you would get hired. He also told me that 5 instructors just got hired by express jet with only 900 hours with about 150 multi. My goals are to work for a major airline at age 24 and to work for a regional airline at age 21 and work as a first officer for regional right out of flight school. Every one tells me thats never going to happen.

[ QUOTE ]
Every one tells me thats never going to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

And theres a 99.9999% chance they're right.

Whats the hurry? Enjoy the ride, you'll get there eventually.

747- sorry but i have to say it. THATS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. it sounds to me like your jumping the gun a little bit. i take it your still in high school. you seem to have your choices already narrowed down to three places. have you taken a tour of any of them? do you know anyone who has attended these schools personally? if the answer is no to both, you need slow down a little. here are my suggestions.
1. GO TO COLLEGE! you can major in aviation if you want. many universities have flight programs.
2. GO TO COLLEGE! major in something other than aviation and work on ratings in your spare time.
3. GO TO COLLEGE! Choose a flight school after you have graduated and after you have had time to do more research on the various flight schools.
4. DON'T BE FOOLED by the flashey ads you see in flying magazines. many places "gurantee" an interview for graduates. that is if you graduate AND get hired on as flight instructor with them. i know that two of the schools you have mentioned -Flight Safety, and PAN AM have considerable wait lists to instruct. so, if you attended one of these schools right now, and assuming your hired as an instructor (no guarantee) you'll have to wait in line. that could take anywhere from a couple of months to a year. who knows. my point is you don't need to be in a rush right now. i have a feeling you'd be in the minority at any of thses schools without a college degree of some kind. there are many many other reputable flight schools out there other than the ones you have mentioned. take some time, and do some more research. don't limit yourself so soon. good luck
grin.gif

I agree with hollywood. You NEED to go to college. The airlines wont consider you without it. Also i know that the ads seem good and flashy that these places are putting out. But the airline industry is not at all the way these places make it out to be. The airlines really dont care where you trained at. Their number one goal is to get as much money from as many people as possible. If i were you i would slow down and go to college and work on your private at a local FBO while in school and then see from there. Please listen to this advice before jumping into an ENORMOUS amount of debt with no parachute.

Flight Safety isn't going anywhere. They have more money behind them than any other flight school out there. They can turn a profit even in the hardest of times because all of the facilities and aircraft are paid for. The academy is the founders baby. He will alway's make sure the academy is in good shape.

Take everyone elses advice and either go to college first, or at least get started and then attend FSA while finishing up.

Good luck...ILS

Thanks guys. I plan to go to westwind. For 3 reasons.
1 Is the cheapest school that I can find.
2 They garentee a position as a certified flight instructor.
3 You can build as much as time as you can as a CFI at westwind.

When I was talking to the career consuler at westwind he said that you are garenteed a job as a flight instructor and that you can stay as long as you want as a flight instructor. The main reason that I choose westwind is that it was the cheapest flight school. I also plan to take online courses for a 4 year degree at westwind that only take me 2 years to complete. Thanks for all your advice.

have you actually even been to any of these schools to see them?

why the big rush to be separated from your money, none of the majors right now are hiring anyway and probably wont be for another 8 years at least. Your young you should experience some of the college life first. Thats what I'm doing.

If I were you I would get my private first then see from there.

Be careful about gurantees..if there is one thing I have learned so far about aviation it is the fact that there are no Guarantees...except gravity I suppose...

I would be willing to bet $100.00 that you will finish Westwind way over budget and way past your expected completion date. I think you had better read the posts on their forum. Did you ask the "tell me what I want to hear" counselor how many students wash out of the right seat direct program??? The number is up there. Not sure how many but I know they have had alot of pissed off students on that issue. Better do some more homework my friend. Pan-Am would be a better choice if I had to choose between the two. Of course FSA has the best reputation in the industry for turning out quality pilots. That alone should be your main concern. You need to look at the schools for their program and reputation, not ONLY cost. I know pilots that went to Westwind and Pan-Am that spent thousands more than I did.

Have you looked at FSA's entire program? The instrument training in the twin is golden. Not to mention the upset attitude recovery training in the Zlin that only FSA offers. These things, to name a few, are all worked into the price.

Do yourself a favor and tour all of the schools. When you are there, interview the students AWAY from the school and administrative offices. That is when you will find the answer you are looking for...ILS

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys. I plan to go to westwind. For 3 reasons.
1 Is the cheapest school that I can find.
2 They garentee a position as a certified flight instructor.
3 You can build as much as time as you can as a CFI at westwind.

When I was talking to the career consuler at westwind he said that you are garenteed a job as a flight instructor and that you can stay as long as you want as a flight instructor. The main reason that I choose westwind is that it was the cheapest flight school. I also plan to take online courses for a 4 year degree at westwind that only take me 2 years to complete. Thanks for all your advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's me, but this quote sure looks like an advertisement by a school employee. Usually a dead giveaway when none of the personal information fields are filled in.

747 ,
I noticed that you have not posted any questions on Westwinds board. Any particular reason? Maybe you already attend Westind or POSSIBLY work there. Just curious because your questions seem to be almost a little too green compared to the normal rookie questions posted.

If I am incorrect, my apologies..ILS

Everyone always says get your degree first (in whatever you may be interested in) and you can't go wrong! I think that's the best advice for starters.

Back