how long?

BLUESKY

I've been thinking about committing full time to a flight school for 6 months now....I have to be honest. When I thought about wanting to become a pilot i was 60% sure that i was going to commit, but now it's more like 60% in the other direction and steadily moving........I was wondering how long did it take some of you to decide weather you were going to enter this field or not?

You know, to be real honest I wanted to be a pilot since I was a kid.

I planned on going to the Navy when I was in high school, but I didn't have the eyesight to get into the Naval aviation program.

I went to ERAU, got a little disenfranchised with aviation because of the uber dismal job market in the late 80's/early 90's and looked at state schools to take a different degree program. My mom urged me to finish what I started and I stayed in the program.

I got out of college and got a job flying Beech king airs which didn't last very long. I still wanted to be a pilot, but the dot.com boom just hit and all of my non-flying computer science croanies were buying airplanes, houses and MBZ's.

I figured if I was going to do the aviation thing, I'd better hit it hard and "make my own success" until I could land a job to feed myself.

I finally landed a full time CFI job and make some tremendous network contacts and it's been a "rocket ship" until about 9/11/01.

I'd like to say that I never lost the drive to be a pilot, but there were times along the route that I was extremely close to giving the entire thing up because of the industry downturn and getting burned with "get a job quick" schemes.

Primarily the reason I started this website. Straight answers and no overzealous salesman spin.

[ QUOTE ]
Primarily the reason I started this website. Straight answers and no overzealous salesman spin.

[/ QUOTE ]

And we love you for it Doug!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And we love you for it Doug!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But not in a "biblical" sense, right?
smile.gif

600,000+ hits in one day this week can't be all that bad!

Anyway, if I can get good students to good honest flight schools, and steer folks away from the unscrupulous schools selling "snake oil" and "magnetic bracelets", the more the better, eh?

Doug, I think you're more well known in the inudustry than you think. I talked to a SWA FO and a DL Captain, and both of them had heard of you and your site, and said "it's great what he does for you guys." Keep up the good work Doug!

[ QUOTE ]
Doug, I think you're more well known in the inudustry than you think. I talked to a SWA FO and a DL Captain, and both of them had heard of you and your site, and said "it's great what he does for you guys." Keep up the good work Doug!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, really? That's both cool and scary! A few months ago, I had a captain run up to me and start talking about stuff he saw on the forums and I presumed he meant the DALPA (Delta ALPA) forums, but he was talking about the jetcareers.com forums. I'm a firebreathing loudmouth on the DALPA forums as well.

I mean it's cool because I spend a lot of time on the website and especially recently because I'm working on a redesign, but scary because I'm actuallly a very private kind of guy and like to blend in with the crowd.

But overall, that's cool! I'm glad I'm able to provide some balance to the quagmire!
smile.gif

Thanks Doug...That was a great reply and it means a lot. I printed it, and will tape it up in my desk area. ...Have you ever thought about becoming a motivational speaker-they make a tons of money.
Athough I never would have figured you to EVER become discourged about any situation-you cross me as a strong mined indivual. Well, I will continue to consider aviation, and reguardless of what I decide thanks for the website.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Doug...That was a great reply and it means a lot. I printed it, and will tape it up in my desk area. ...Have you ever thought about becoming a motivational speaker-they make a tons of money.
Athough I never would have figured you to EVER become discourged about any situation-you cross me as a strong mined indivual. Well, I will continue to consider aviation, and reguardless of what I decide thanks for the website.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I didn't get that "Tony Robbins" gene so I'd probably suck at motivational speaking.

I guess I am a little strong minded at times when it comes to aviation stuff.

I just hate seeing people get financially burned or disenfranchised from false promises. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt and started a website!
smile.gif

Eleven years. That's from the time I took my first lesson to the time that I decided to leave insurance and go back to flying full time.

I'm not sure if he is booked solid or not, but perhaps we could get matt foley to give us a motivational speech?
grin.gif
But sadly enough....living in a van down by the river might not be too far off from most pilots when just starting off
crazy.gif

Back