How long does it take to get a CFI Rating?

akmountaineer

Obviously the time varies depending on how much someone dedicates to this endeavor, but what's a general ballpark figure to get the CFI rating if you fly 3-4 times a week and are a fairly current commercially rated pilot? How much more time does it take to get the CFII and MEI? I see that ATP has a two week course for all three ratings, but that doesn't seem very realistic to me.

Thanks!

It depends on where you conduct training at. ATP is pretty quick especially since American Flyers offers the CFI/CFII in 30 days. I think Sheble is 14 days for the CFI initial, but it is taking MUCH longer than that due to aircraft availability.

I'd probably be more inclined to sign up for an accelerated course since doing it on your own typically takes longer.

It took me about two months to get my initial and II, but I didn't go to one of those accelerated programs, and flew about twice a week. Most of the training is book work.

Most of our students who go through the CFI program finish the initial CFI portion in 2 or 2.5 weeks.

Michael

You can do it on your own, how long it takes is up to you! I'm not the best at studying so I decided to attend the CFI program at Career pilot School...It took me two weeks to complete (cfi initial), and was a very good program.

A quick program will have to take some shortcuts to get it done so fast. A longer program may be more thorough. Either way just make sure you understand everything before you take the ride. I have done fast programs and they do take shortcuts, and try to push you through even if you need more time. Longer programs in my experience are better.

It also depends on how much time you have to devote to the CFI.

about four weeks of self study and maybe 4 or 5 flights for the CFI initial. You don't need to waste your money on these accelerated programs. If you can afford to take off 2-3-4 weeks, why not just study on your own and get it done for a fraction of the cost.......And yes, I was one of those people who told myself "i don't study well" and wanted to go to an accelerated program until my old instructor told me to stop being a pussycat.

about four weeks of self study and maybe 4 or 5 flights for the CFI initial. You don't need to waste your money on these accelerated programs. If you can afford to take off 2-3-4 weeks, why not just study on your own and get it done for a fraction of the cost.......And yes, I was one of those people who told myself "i don't study well" and wanted to go to an accelerated program until my old instructor told me to stop being a pussycat.

How can you teach yourself to be a teacher?

Maybe my program is different, but it is structured to teach pilots how to be "educators". Sure, can you teach yourself to pass an oral exam and practical test? Absolutely. But what if there is a program that can also turn you into an educator?

One thing I find silly in aviation is that the majority of CFI's get absolutely no practical experience teaching before they jump in an aircraft with a new student. I mean c'mon, my wife was a kindergarten teacher and it took her 2 years to earn her masters for it and she spent a semester observing a teacher and then a semester as a student teacher.

Just my two cents.

How can you teach yourself to be a teacher?

Maybe my program is different, but it is structured to teach pilots how to be "educators". Sure, can you teach yourself to pass an oral exam and practical test? Absolutely. But what if there is a program that can also turn you into an educator?

One thing I find silly in aviation is that the majority of CFI's get absolutely no practical experience teaching before they jump in an aircraft with a new student. I mean c'mon, my wife was a kindergarten teacher and it took her 2 years to earn her masters for it and she spent a semester observing a teacher and then a semester as a student teacher.

Just my two cents.

A lot of it comes down to common sense and observation. It doesn't take a text book and a paid "educator" to tell me what is the right and wrong way to teach someone. If there is one thing I have learned as a CFI thus far is there is no right or wrong way, because every individual is completely different. Traditional text book methods do not work with everyone.

Back to observation...I spent everyday at the airport while I was studying for my CFI, sitting in on one on one ground lessons, and sitting in the back during flights. I was able to see first hand how each person has different motivations and goals, and when to push it, and when to back off.

One thing I find silly in aviation are the CFI's that you mention, that cannot leave the textbook they were taught, and cause more problems for their students by their inability to think outside the box and over analyze.

Teaching people to fly airplanes comes down to the student having trust and confidence in the instructor. It's as simple as that. Granted the teacher has to give the correct information, but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Keep it simple stupid.

Whether I had any "real practical teaching experience" before becoming an instructor? well, I'm 100% first try pass rate, 6/6. I'm very pleased with the way I went about getting my CFI, and where I am now, and most importantly, where my students are.

I have had several instructors throughout my training that I "trusted" as a pilot and obviously they knew what was required to become a cfi. However they really had NO buinsess being one!!!

To the OP, there are obviously several ways to approach becoming a CFI...Choose the one that fits YOUR needs...There is no one size fits all in flight training!

I agree accelerated programs are a waist of time and money. A lot of those programs have a lot of self study in them anyway.

Oh OK sorry I thought this was Jetcareers and not English class get over it. Maybe your on the wrong site.

Accelerated programs try to cram a lot information into a short amount of time. They also skip over some areas that should be covered thoroughly along with everything else.

Micheal CPS

I noticed on your site you have a 10 day instrument course. Ha! 10 days is hardly enough time to get an instrument rating and know all material. That is a load of crap. On your site it also says "The Accelerated Instrument Rating Course prepares a pilot for the demands of Instrument flight." In ten days? Come on!

Any grammmmaar errroorss inn this post Mr. English? Maybe the mods should promote you to Grammar Police Chief!

Oh OK sorry I thought this was Jetcareers and not English class get over it. Maybe your on the wrong site.

Accelerated programs try to cram a lot information into a short amount of time. They also skip over some areas that should be covered thoroughly along with everything else.

Micheal CPS

I noticed on your site you have a 10 day instrument course. Ha! 10 days is hardly enough time to get an instrument rating and know all material. That is a load of crap. On your site it also says "The Accelerated Instrument Rating Course prepares a pilot for the demands of Instrument flight." In ten days? Come on!

Any grammmmaar errroorss inn this post Mr. English? Maybe the mods should promote you to Grammar Police Chief!

I love debating guys like you! Gets the weekend started off with lots of fun! You seem very angry. Maybe you need to relax a bit?

How much aviation education experience do you have? You sound like you don't have much. So let me educate you.

Accelerated programs work for some people. Not everyone, but a good deal of students that come here have a lot of success. We complete instrument ratings in 10-15 days in that program. We do almost all of the flying in the aircraft with very little simulator use. I can count at least 20 students over the past year, who have their own aircraft, who leave here, in their own aircraft, and have to shoot an approach when they get back home. And what do they call and tell me? That it was EASY. That's right, we train to tough standards here so when they do get into the real world, they aren't scrambling around like a noob.

Have you done our 10 day course? Nope. Have you done any 10 day course? I assume not.

Don't knock accelerated training until you have tried it. Oh, and if you go for a type rating some day, that is ACCELERATED TRAINING. So good luck if you think they are crap!

Michael

PS: When you use poor grammar, it just makes you sound more ignorant and uneducated.

PPS: I am a major supporter of this site. I don't think many people would think I am on the wrong site. :D

it took me and my study buddy from February to August to become CFIs.

It was at our own pace and worth it. The FSDO called our CFI in congratulate him.

Accelerate if it is what is for you, if you have never done an accelerated course, I wouldn't suggest it.

I have done accelerated courses, and no I don't like them. To each, his own.

Back