How long does it take for 100LL to turn to varnish?

bdhill1979

Gone West
We just go 2 tanks full from the FBO and they refuse to admit it.

"Our fuel is sumped daily"

The plane is being flown almost daily, and they are the only ones we have bought fuel from in weeks. There is a big brown smear on the hangar floor where I spilled it while sumping, the junk that does not evaporate.
DSC04038.jpg

Also, how do I responsibly dispose of it?

No matter what, there will be residue left from evaporation of a fuel spill. The more fuel of course, the thicker the residue.
About the only fuel that would not stain would be 100% ethanol.

Of course, if it *were* 100% ethanol, you could just mix it with kool aid.

I realize that, but the other stuff in fuel that wont evaporate doesnt leave a big brown, greasy to the touch, varnish smelling smudge. That and the above picture came from less than half a gallon that spilled while trying to get rid of this crap.

I have 45 gallons that I need to dispose of

Of course, if it *were* 100% ethanol, you could just mix it with kool aid.

If only

As far as disposal, the local paper here always has an add in the classifieds looking for people wanting to get rid of any unwanted fuel oil/ oil/ gas.

GASOLINE
  • <LI class=style2>OLD/DEGRADED
    “Recondition” old gas by pouring it through a coffee filter. Mix one part filtered gas with five parts fresh gas and use as normal in smaller engines (lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc.). The mixture may also be used with carbureted auto engines. It should not be used with auto engines having fuel-injection systems. <LI class=style2>CONTAMINATED WITH WATER
    Pour mixture into transparent jug. Allow water to separate (settle to bottom). Carefully pour off gas into gas can, leaving water behind. Pour leftover water into plastic-lined box containing cat litter. Allow cat litter to dry then discard with trash.
  • CONTAMINATED WITH OTHER SUBSTANCES (Antifreeze, Brake Fluid, Parts Cleaner, etc.)
    This mixture cannot be reconditioned or separated. It is considered to be hazardous waste and must be disposed as such.
    1) Safely store until next county household hazardous waste collection event, or
    2) Contact Salt Lake Valley Hazardous Waste Collection Station (6030 W. California Ave., 541-4076) to see if they will accept it and to receive a price quote (out-of-county residents are charged a fee).
there ya go.

I don't think they gave you 100LL. I've spilt many a gallon of 100LL during mx and it doesn't leave a brown greasy residue. The fuel they gave you is either contaminated or it was Jet-A that is contaminated. What color is the fuel if you drain a sample from a sump?

I don't think they gave you 100LL. I've spilt many a gallon of 100LL during mx and it doesn't leave a brown greasy residue. The fuel they gave you is either contaminated or it was Jet-A that is contaminated. What color is the fuel if you drain a sample from a sump?
semi clear with a tinge of blue that I suspect is from the fuel that was already in the tank.

It was some type of gas at one point, not Jet-A, but I think you are right that whatever it was was not 100LL.

go get some sea foam and mix it in or some gas stabilizer pour it into some old used truck, car etc..or sell it to your buddys for the atv's or snowmobiles

go get some sea foam and mix it in or some gas stabilizer pour it into some old used truck, car etc..or sell it to your buddys for the atv's or snowmobiles
you can have it if you want to pick it up at U77, I should have it in gas cans this afternoon

you can have it if you want to pick it up at U77, I should have it in gas cans this afternoon

Exactly, give it away to the racing community or someone's old car. I used to use 100LL for my jetski racing all the time. The hangar guys were happy to give it away. They would pay to dispose of it. I would come by once a week with a 15 gallon tank of free gas.

Good that you caught it. Now the question that remains...are they STILL selling it? That could be a really bad thing and if they are I would think that a call to the FAA might be a good idea. I know if I flew in and pumped 40 gallons of that crap into my plane, I would be just a *little* upset.

Good that you caught it. Now the question that remains...are they STILL selling it? That could be a really bad thing and if they are I would think that a call to the FAA might be a good idea. I know if I flew in and pumped 40 gallons of that crap into my plane, I would be just a *little* upset.

Oh I am livid about it. The owner is going to have me fly to the next airport to get fuel from here on out.

I told them it was bad, they refused to admit it. I have told everybody I see on the field to be careful and sump more than they usually would. Maybe the FAA does need a call tomorrow morning.

Sump some samples to a sealed glass container, and call their supplier and start asking questions. You can get it analyzed.

I had a similar fuel situation in Winslow, AZ a few years ago. Didn't find out until the takeoff roll. Not a fun time to find out.

Oh I am livid about it. The owner is going to have me fly to the next airport to get fuel from here on out.

I told them it was bad, they refused to admit it. I have told everybody I see on the field to be careful and sump more than they usually would. Maybe the FAA does need a call tomorrow morning.

If it were me, I couldn't make the call to the Feds fast enough. If I happened to hear about a Mooney or Cirrus going down and killing a family and then seeing it was for fuel contamination, I would lose a LOT of sleep. If the fuel is good (as the FBO says) then it's no harm, no foul. If it's bad, then the problem will be found MIGHTY QUICK (if it's a tank, a bad batch, a distributor, whatever). Of course, that is just me. If my FBO had an issue and someone KNOWS about it, I would damn sure hope they would report it!

Back