How is this for cheap...

If they can do it, why can't more of us do it elsewhere?
I'm not doing any funflying, just work ( yes, I complain when my flights are canceled for Wx, Mx, Goofups)
icon6.gif

uhh, can LSA flights be logged, too?

I'm with you, but I am thinking that they must have had the Champ for a while. I mean, four members at $2,500 per is only $10,000. I am fairly sure we could replicate the hourly cost and monthly dues (assuming a low-end Continental engine - C-65 or -85) but I can't see getting much of an airplane for $10k. I think if you doubled the buy-in you could get into a nice Luscombe, Ercoupe, or T-craft - but I think Champs and Cubs would be out of reach today from what I have seen. These guys must have either bought the plane a long time ago or something else to keep the price so low.

I get the rental C172 at my airport for $45/hr WET!!...True story. No commitments, no buy in. Just $45 and I'm off for an hour. Of course, I work at the airport, so thats the only way I get the deal. I did my complete PPL including books, instructor, EVERYTHING for 3700. <------CHEAP!

I get the rental C172 at my airport for $45/hr WET!!...True story. No commitments, no buy in. Just $45 and I'm off for an hour. Of course, I work at the airport, so thats the only way I get the deal. I did my complete PPL including books, instructor, EVERYTHING for 3700. <------CHEAP!
Damn, how far is Williamsburg from LOU and are they hiring? ;)

And here I am paying $130 wet for a 172R, and they give me the employee discount, believe it or not, to fly at that rate even though I don't work there. Everyone else pays $140. :banghead:

I have to pay 110/hr wet for the 172S, but thats only because we are leasing it and the owner requires $55 for every hour its flown. Throw in the cost of fuel and the 10 or so for the maintenance costs and its gonna run about 90-100/hr just for the cost. 110 is not a bad deal. But I told the manager I wouldn't fly it because I can get the 172N (which the airport owns and is really nice), for less than half the price! I have a college degree, and have been considering leaving the airport to get a job utilizing the degree, but the money I'm saving on the airplane leaves me with no other option but to stay!

Assuming you don't have your commercial, you probably won't find a better way to build time than that. Maybe we can trade, how would you like to get yelled at by brainless passengers in exchange for flight benefits?

No, I dont have my comm yet. Gettin there tho! Im workin on my instrument right now! As soon as thats out of the way (its breezing by - not nearly as rough as what I expected) I'll be starting my comm training. I've already thought about all of the benefits to using the aircraft for time building. And the BEST thing is I can pair up with another guy for instrument training, and split the cost. It's basically amazing to get an hour of PIC simulated for a mere 22.50!!!

No, I dont have my comm yet. Gettin there tho! Im workin on my instrument right now! As soon as thats out of the way (its breezing by - not nearly as rough as what I expected) I'll be starting my comm training. I've already thought about all of the benefits to using the aircraft for time building. And the BEST thing is I can pair up with another guy for instrument training, and split the cost. It's basically amazing to get an hour of PIC simulated for a mere 22.50!!!
Damn that'd be nice. I'm in the same boat, still only have about half my cross country PIC needed for the instrument. I've thought about getting my CFI to come along on the cross countries to knock two categories of time out in one swoop but I don't really have that kinda money. I need to go up with a safety pilot but I don't really feel like I know enough under the hood yet.

Not trying to jack the thread here....

My instructor likes to do a lesson or two and go over a couple of new concepts. Then I go up for an hour or so with a safety pilot to practice what I've learned. It works out great for me. Im in the same boat with the PIC x-country, so what I've been doing is making every lesson a cross country. Instead of spending an hour around KLOZ we fly cross countries every time. I end up paying a little more for each flight, but in the end it will take less flights and I'll be more experienced. Others have gotten the IR, and dont have that much experience I feel like. I've flown safety pilot with several ppl and I feel as though the training Im getting is superior to what they have gotten. Not that I am a better pilot by any means, I just feel as tho Im getting more experience by making every lesson a xcountry. I try to go somewhere different every time.

Back