How is a Pilot "Professional"?

Saw something last week that made me think of this thread. I flew with a very senior captain last week and I was embarrassed to be around him. His uniform was filthy and to top it off I guess he doesn't wear a tie. He was walking all around the airport with no tie on and didn't have his hat, which is required at my airline. To top it off he never went anywhere without a backpack over his shoulder. Ive never cared much about the whole backpack debate but after this trip I believe it is an unprofessional look.

I completely agree that you shouldn't be sloppy in your uniform.

Saw something last week that made me think of this thread. I flew with a very senior captain last week and I was embarrassed to be around him. His uniform was filthy and to top it off I guess he doesn't wear a tie. He was walking all around the airport with no tie on and didn't have his hat, which is required at my airline. To top it off he never went anywhere without a backpack over his shoulder. Ive never cared much about the whole backpack debate but after this trip I believe it is an unprofessional look.

That's also your company's fault for not putting the kibosh on that foolishness. I'm no submariner captain like some places but really, you have to at least look like you out some effort into it.

That's also your company's fault for not putting the kibosh on that foolishness. I'm no submariner captain like some places but really, you have to at least look like you out some effort into it.

It was like he put in the effort to not look professional.

It was like he put in the effort to not look professional.

Some guys are just lazy like that. Which is no excuse. One guy I know, he puts more effort into trying to do less work or get out of assignments, than it would take to just do the darn work and be done with it.

Yikes.

I don't wear a hat nor a tie and have yet to be called in. ;)

Some guys are just lazy like that. Which is no excuse. One guy I know, he puts more effort into trying to do less work or get out of assignments, than it would take to just do the darn work and be done with it.
It's even better when they expect a thank you for getting flights cancelled.

LOL I recently saw our pilot group uniform rep show for work, while a company Town Hall Meeting was going on, in a wrinkled shirt annnnnnd backpack. I try not to judge EXCEPT that a backpack over both shoulders is not allowed in uniform. I can't remember if one strap is allowed but I don't carry one, so I don't care. Seeing what I see, I sometimes wonder if many rules are changed because the masses make rule changes relevant.

Back