How Hard Is It To Get A Dispatch Position at FedEx?

Walter Reed

I recently received my Dispatch Certificate from "Aviation Dispatch Institute" here in Memphis, TN. I live in the area. My question is how hard is it to become a FedEx Dispatcher and what do you have to do to get a job there. I have several contacts in Flight-Ops and they have my application and resume.

I have heard they hire from within first. If you can get any job at FedEx at least you are then an employee and will have a better opportunity as a licensed dispatcher.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Ha! I have been waiting for a chance to move to them for two years and your already well ahead of me even with my years of international heavy experience. Everything I know about them is word of mouth like they like local people, almost always hire from within have the best pay blah blah blah. I think I have only ever seen a public opening once and I didn't meet the requirements at the time, if I were you stay where you are and get a job throwing boxes and in 6 months apply for the internal spot for a dispatcher and you will be making 6 figures in no time. Just remember when you get there slide my resume over lol.

Perhaps you need to have been a dispatcher for NASA.

Seems just as hard for pilots.

Best way to do it (that is, several people I know have done it) is to get a job at one of the local carriers (Pinnacle or whoever) dispatching with them, and get a part time job throwing boxes for FedEx. Then, when a position comes open you have dispatch experience PLUS you live in the local area PLUS you are an internal applicant. I personally wouldn't want to live in that area, although I know lots of people like it. Good luck with your career!

Manniax is absolutely correct.. Get a job with Pinnacle or Colgan who ever is here now and get a PT job throwing boxes and apply from within is your best chance...Oh and by the way dispatch much like maintenance and pilots UPS pays better but they (UPS) are pretty militant maybe 69Beers can shed some light on this. But the pilots vs management have a pretty bad relationship there at UPS but like I said they do pay more. I would consider UPS before FX just because the money and benefits are far greater than FX. But FX jobs come up more frequently. Both are great paying companies but also like he said Memphis flat out sucks. But you can commute I guess a lot of others do it.

By the way the latest intel is that it will take you approx 11 yrs to get to top dispatch pay at FX which is at low 6 figures..They have been "adjusting" pay in all catagories(maintenance too) there mostly the new hires take it in the shorts as it should be I guess but still a good company to work for and GOC (dispatch) there gets treated pretty good I am thinking of going there myself.

Talk to Mach82, he has spoken with the SOC Manager there. From what I have heard, they have not hired a DXer externally in over 10 years.

Back