How exactly does one open a Flight School/FBO?

iceman21

Title sums it up pretty much. I am looking to start a ministry that may or may not come into fruition. Basically it will involve a flight school/FBO and offer flight training to those who cannot afford it.

The way I figure it, I would want to run it as an FBO/Flight school.

Basically just trying to brainstorm and I would love to hear anyones suggestions.

Thanks,

Mike

Just curious if you had an idea of how you'd get the funding for the discounted flight training?

I think "ministry" is the operative word here.

I could understand such an idea coming out of the South, but Chicago??? I guess the Lord really does work in mysterious ways.....

[ QUOTE ]
I could understand such an idea coming out of the South, but Chicago??? I guess the Lord really does work in mysterious ways.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! Don't forget the St. Helen of the Blessed Shroud orphanage in Calumed city, Illinois! (For those who don't know that's the orphanage from my all time favorite movie The Blues Brothers).

'canfly
Elwood: It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it!

To answer your question - and I'm not triing to be a smart butt - buy an airplane, hire an instructor, and you've got yourself a flight school!! It really is just about that simple. The business end of it would be just like any other business which really isn't complicated - especially if you're not looking to turn a profit. You'd have to follow your local laws regarding businesses such as DBA filings, etc. but I'm not sure how the fact that you'd be operating as an 'organization'(ministry) would change things. You'd need to rent some office space probably. You can probably rent some office space from the FBO where you park your plane or maybe even enter into an agreement with the FBO to use their meeting room for free when you need to or something like that.

It really is just about that simple! You'll find that there really isn't much scrutiny from the FAA regarding Part 61 flight schools. The BEST thing to do is to just make an appoitment with the Chicago FSDO office and ask them exactly how you should proceed.

I saw a website for a ministry in GA somewhere(I THINK!!) that gives airplane rides to support it's main ministry purpose. They use an old British fighter/trainer that looks similar to the US T-37 and the give you a ride free of charge but of course request a donation.

Jason

I don't have the foggiest idea on how you'd start an FBO, but something tells me that you may need a business background and probably an aviation background of some sort.

Sounds like a cool idea you've got there. Another thought might be to maybe hook up with a group like Mission Aviation Fellowship (www.maf.org). Maybe you could run a school that trained pilots to go into mission for them. Might help with getting funding as well.

Anyhow, keep updating us (okay me anyway) on how things are going.

Good luck.

Naunga

[ QUOTE ]
The business end of it would be just like any other business which really isn't complicated - especially if you're not looking to turn a profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahah

It sounds like you're not in it for the money, but when I first read the title I thought of this little joke:

How do you make a small fortune in aviation??

Start with a large one!

I like what Jason said...a part 61 "flight school" is a matter of having a plane and doing it, no big deal. Some FSDO guys might be able to help you but most will have better things to do. Your biggest chore will be getting non-profit status and all that, something I know nothing about. Here is a few link to a non-profit in Sandpoint, ID that does flight training with high school youth.

www.aviationed.org

I do youth ministry stuff in my spare time and have given a lot of plane rides to kids.

Thanks everyone for your input. This would be started out part time, but with the vision of becoming a full time thing in about 10-15 years.

Keep the suggestions coming, I really appreciate it.

actually the majority of FBO's are lease agreements with the Airport Authority. By in large, all airports are owned by the town that they are associated with. The town enters in to agreements for usually twenty years to an opperator of an FBO ( agreement can be teriminated by the town if the FBO does not opperate according to satisfactory guidelines). The FBO then undertakes the debt to put up the building, if it doesn't exist, and manage it under the agreement with the town. Every airport is different some town have a cap on the number of FBO's that can opperate on their strip.

I would talk to the FSDO, but I would also call the town govenment and talk with entity in charge of operating your airport.

Back