How essential to have all writtens done?

pscraig

I'm starting the ACPP in Stuart in just over a week, and am running into some difficulty in studying for the instrument writtens. I have already passed the commercial and FOI exams, and have the Seminole supplement down cold, but have not really started working on CFI. The big problem is the instrument stuff-I have read the Jepp book, have the King videos, Gleim software and book, but I am just not getting it. On a Gleim software practice exam I can't reliably get past a 70. Considering this and the fact that I haven't hit the CFI stuff yet, should I attempt to reschedule my start date? I'm expecting the program to be busy already.

I agree that must be tough...Isn't that the big drawback to such an accelerated program? Just like cramming for a test, you can only retain so much information at once....

I don't think this is a drawback to an accelerated program, its more of a drawback to doing self-study ground school. I'd be in a similar situation if I was flying at the local FBO. In the days since I made that post I have made tremendous progress, having all but one chapter of the Gleim finished and am now able to pass the simulated tests in the Gleim software. I've scheduled the IRA and FII exams for Thursday, and should definitely be ready. This has all come at a cost, I have spent 5-6 hours a day doing nothing but studying.

When I started the ACPP I had only completed my instrument written. Try downloading the test prep. from FAA.test.com. This was a great prep. for most of the tests that I took, including the instrument written and instrument instructor.

PSCraig-

Wow, guess I have alot to look forward to. How far in advance did you sign up and recieve all the study material? Maybe I should plan ahead learning from your cramming experience and start on the writtens right away in the beginning of summer. That way I could have a good 6 months to do all the writtens, if I am planning to begin training in January.

Regarding, your initial question asking how essential it is to have them behind you. I have just noticed in other forums, it's not imperative but does make the transition through the program MUCH easier. It's all about having one less thing to worry about. Wish I could be more specific...

Well, today I took all three instrument writtens (IRA, FII, IGI) and passed them all, with a 92 on the instrument rating-airplane exam! I have only the CFI exam left, which looks simple compared to the instrument material, and especially since I have already taken the commercial written. I took the IGI as an extra, ATP does not require it. I'll also be taking the AGI along with the CFI.

I received my books a little over a month ago. I began with memorizing the Seminole supplement, then moved into instrument stuff. There is just so much new stuff to learn for the instrument exam, and last week, when I made that original post, I was feeling a little overwhelmed. I used the King CD-ROM course, but found the Jepp I/C book and Gleim software to be the most effective. The King software was useful for some of the topics I had difficulty with, such as holding pattern entries and primary/supporting instruments.

Six months should be very adequate, but get them out of the way. Also remember some exams are similar-IRA & FII from the same question pool, and CFI and CAX are very similar. The FOI is a joke and I advise getting that one out of the way first. ATP also has a Seminole audio review in MP3 format on their webpage. It was very helpful in memorizing all the v-speeds, procedures, etc.

I think the effort was worth it, as I expect the ATP program to be busy but I desire some free time. I would also like to just focus on flying. Now I am really looking forward to the program. Anybody interested in buying a slightly used King CD-ROM course ?
smile.gif

OK... Heres another question.

I will be attending the Dallas ACPP this summer. Looking to start in July and using the entire month of June to study prior to my first day. Since I am relocating to DFW specifically to attend ATP, I will have no other job to get in the way and can concentrate on my studies, and hopefully get at least the Insturment, FOI and Commercial test out of the way prior to Day 1.

That being said...

According to the program cost breakdown... all writtens are included in the price. However, will they pay for the exams if you are accepted into the program but delay your entry to take the tests prior to your first official day?

Just trying to save what I can. If anyone knows the answer please let me know.

ALSO: Looking for an Instrument Study Budy in the DFW area for the month of June. If anyone is interested in pairing up please let me know.

Bob

If you take the tests at an ATP facility, you don't have to fork over a dime. If on the other hand, you take it somewhere else, you have to pay for the exam. Once you start ATP, they will reimburse you the cost of the exam.

Thanks robair,

I appreciate the info. It's good to know. I guess my next question to folks would be; does that timeframe (30 days) seem do-able to complete those three exams with no major interuptions.

For my Private Exam... I had 50 hours and studied my groundschool material over the course of 8 months while actively flying. I was getting ready to take my exam and have my checkride in September... of 2001! Of course the sky's went quiet on the 11th, and my FBO wouldn't allow students back up for another 2 months, by that time the holidays were in full swing, and then in February my wife and I had our first child... (a beautiful baby girl by the way!
smile.gif
)

Long story short... 19 months later than I expected I will be taking my checkride in 3 weeks and I did my Private exam by attending Aviation Seminars two day study course for $300 and passing my test the next day.

I think the study program from Aviation Seminars worked great and am considering using them again for the Instrument, but at least for the Private I had the background knowledge from the previous years training, so I am concerned about that.

OK... This turned into a bit of a rant... apologies. Basic question is... Is 30 days enough time to complete the Instrument & Commercial exams with no real-time experience?

Thanks,

Bob
...Still looking for a study partner in June...

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks robair,

... Is 30 days enough time to complete the Instrument & Commercial exams with no real-time experience?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd start now. The last 2 weeks of my life have been study-sleep-eat, and I already took the commercial exam. I don't suggest doing two in a row that way. The commercial material helps out with the instrument questions, especially in interpreting HSI/VOR/NDB indications. The commercial material is also just an advanced version of the PPL material. In fact, Aviation Seminars teaches the PPL and comm ground schools together.

Remember to take the FII exam with the IRA exam, same question bank. During my 3 exams today, there were 3-4 questions that were on all three exams.

Hey Soonermurph...what was that website you listed to download written test preps? I couldn't find anything at faa.test.com.

Back