How does the DA-20 fly?

JaceTheAce

The flying club I used to be a member of has this DA-20 available for $65/wet. It's the 81HP Rotax version. I am thinking about rejoining the club and getting checked out in it for some scenic tours of San Diego and maybe even a little Catalina Island trip. How does this bird fly? It'll be great to fly an airplane with an actual stick. At $65 I can actually afford it split with one other person ($32.50! :) )

N273DA_EXT.JPG

Never flown the A1, but to my understanding the rotax was tempermental and at 81 hp, weak. Other than that, its pretty easy and fun to fly.

All the Diamonds trace their lineage to gliders. They tend to be very rudder intensive, and you have to keep it coordinated, to make it do exactly what you want.

I flew the DA20-A1 quite a bit, probably 100-200hrs.

It's unlike any Cessna or Piper single...As someone said it has glider qualitites. In the summer with updrafts it's quick to want to climb. Also the engine (variable pitch prop) is liquid cooled and is prone to overheating.

The sight picture for take -off and landing are a bit different, you don't really take-off...it just lifts off and you really don't pitch up much for the climb.

Overall I'd say not the best plane to train in but it's good to go cruise around in especially for that price.

I have 150 hrs in the C1, it's one of my favorite piston singles. I've never flown the A1 but it sounds a little weak...

The sight picture for take -off and landing are a bit different, you don't really take-off...it just lifts off and you really don't pitch up much for the climb.

This is true. I've got a little bit of time in a C1 and it was weird as hell to take off....felt like a helo going up because there was so little nose-up pitch.

Jace - I've only flown the C1, so I don't know about the Rotax, but the handling qualities were nice enough. That big-arse glider wing means that if you're a little fast it'll wanna float, so you gotta pay attention to your speed on final. The visibility is great, and the seats put you in a semi-reclined position. It's a very cool feeling with the stick. I found it really easy to fly. I'd like to get more time in one, but I've got a block-rate commitment on a 172 lately so the money's been going there.

For 65 wet, that's a pretty damn good deal.

One warning - on a hot day that awesome visibility canopy doubles as a freaking greenhouse.

I flew about 60 hours in an A1....Loved it. The 80 horse engine really isn't a huge disadvantage with that huge glider wing. The glide ration (14:1) will also be nice to have for the catalina trips. As previously stated the engine can and will overheat if you're not careful/watchful.

Awesome to spin! Go for it, you won't regret it.

The DA 20 is okay. I wasnt too happy with it. I did enjoy the visibility. As far as the handling of the aircraft? Its not as stable as a 172 or Cherokee. The seats are not very comfy and do not adjust. You pull the rudders towards or away from you to fit. The center stick is kind of cool. If your used to a Piper or Cessna its tough to love the DA-20. Now the DA 40 is a lot of fun though. Another thing about Diamonds is the way you taxi. You actually have to use some brake to turn it. That takes a little getting used to. Its a small airplane. I believe the weight limit is not to exceed 400 lbs. All in all it was an okay airplane. Nothing too impressive IMHO.

The c1 is by far my favorite piston single. Or maybe even my favorite GA aircraft. Great visibility, high cruise speed, low costs, great glide capability, easy to operate. I don't think it carries too much weight but otherwise it's got just about everything you could want in a GA plane. The seats tilt back and the sidestick yoke just add to the cool factor.

You'll have to get used to actually having to plan for descents, it doesn't sink the way Cessnas do. And for some reason I remember the takeoffs being kind of squirrely, I 'think' some back pressure on the stick during the roll helps. I could be wrong, it's been a while.

The c1 is by far my favorite piston single. Or maybe even my favorite GA aircraft. Great visibility, high cruise speed, low costs, great glide capability, easy to operate. I don't think it carries too much weight but otherwise it's got just about everything you could want in a GA plane. The seats tilt back and the sidestick yoke just add to the cool factor.

You'll have to get used to actually having to plan for descents, it doesn't sink the way Cessnas do. And for some reason I remember the takeoffs being kind of squirrely, I 'think' some back pressure on the stick during the roll helps. I could be wrong, it's been a while.
????

no sidestick yoke, center stick

So lets say I go to UND and get all my hours in a 172. What would be involved with being able to rent a different airplane such as a Piper or Diamond if you dont much experience with them?

I'd be all over a DA-20 at that price, regardless of the model. I've got about 20 hours of DA-20C1 time, and I'll say they are a blast to fly. Like has been said, it kind of just lifts off the runway. Climbs real well, even in the heat. Really easy to fly around in. Steep turns and whatnot are effortless. Really, really, really fun to spin. Gets really wrapped up, and is really cool. Landing is hard, if you can't fly the book airspeeds. It'll float forever if your fast.

I did the first 45 hours of my training in a 172R. I then switched to the DA-20, and in less than 10 hours was private check-ride ready. I would think a checkout in a DA-20 for a pilot with 0 DA-20 time is going to be around 2 hours.

Back