How does center know the winds at alt?

Tired

What equipment have center controllers got that enables them to tell the wind at various altittudes? It is something other then PIREPs.

Just a guess, but I'd immagine its just a winds/temps aloft forcast that they have. I think they report the forcast and not actual condition unless they have PIREPS, because if I'm not mistaken PIREPS are the only way to tell the actual conditions at alt.

Centers provide winds from PIREPS. Most jets can pull up forecast winds from the FMS computers or Airshow cabin system. Forecasts are usually pretty worthless. PIREPS are the best thing going.

One night we were following a 757 out of Denver and couldn't figure out why we weren't passing him. We asked Center for the winds at FL310 (he was at FL310 and we were at FL370).
He had a 90 kt direct tailwind and we had 0. We descended and passed him within :15 minutes.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
he was at FL310 and we were at FL370

[/ QUOTE ]

And someone was at the wrong altitude for direction of flight!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, those darn fat fingers again. Good catch
grin.gif
grin.gif

How about FL390
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, those darn fat fingers again. Good catch
grin.gif
grin.gif

How about FL390
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'll buy that... But what were you guys doing all the way down there in the thick air at FL390 anyhow???
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Above 500AGL is pansy altitude.

[/ QUOTE ] Hee Hee... but I can get up, take a walk to the back, take a pee... come back up front and have a caesar salad, filet mignon (cooked rare, of course), dessert and relax... all with my shoes off...
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Above 500AGL is pansy altitude.

[/ QUOTE ] Hee Hee... but I can get up, take a walk to the back, take a pee... come back up front and have a caesar salad, filet mignon (cooked rare, of course), dessert and relax... all with my shoes off...
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop it! Stop it now!!!!!!!

What I'd do for a tender filet mignon right now..........as you say, rare and cooked with a flashlight........
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I'll buy that... But what were you guys doing all the way down there in the thick air at FL390 anyhow???
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes it's just fun to come down low and goof up the airline traffic
grin.gif
tongue.gif

Down the NE corridor around 5pm at FL310 is pretty entertaining.
wink.gif

FL410 just isn't fun anymore now that the airliners are in the neighborhood. Next thing ya know they'll be put'in their furniture on the porch.

I'll take it that you know the joke: A Falcon (or Citation X) pilot was flying up at Fl 430, and on the freq he asks to an airline flight: "hey boys, how's the weather down there?" to which the airline pilot replies:"Hey man, how are the pay and the benefits up there?"
Well, I wish this was still the case...

Back