How do you people survive financially???

Well after my 1st year flying the line I STILL don't know how ya' financially survive. It's everything you guys describe...and a whole lot more (and I've go it easy, I'm home most every night)

...Hmmm I think I saw some signs for truck driving school :confused:

Well in my jumpseating experiences I've heard some pretty darn creative stuff from pilots and F/A! among my favorites:
1) Don't want to pay for a hotel? jump seat to a destination 3+ hours away and sleep on plane, then jump seat back, sleep on plane
2) Hungry - Jump seat on a plane with minimum load giving maximimu chance to get free meal!
3) F/O soup - V-8 or vegitable juice mixed with pretzels or crackers

...LOL

I'm just curious how you made that happen when you were at AMF? It says gross monthly pay of $2,333 x 12 months = just shy of $28K for year one. I'm thinking about a similar path with my wife and kid and trying to plan.

TDY assignments help too! :) That's an extra 245 a week. I'm in the same boat as z987k. We didn't go to the regionals.

UND flight instruction: 17k semi fulltime
Free lance: 30k
Aerial survey: 88k
Flight Express: 54k
Ameriflight: Estimating 35k( :rolleyes: ) if I stay on the 9X9 for a year(god I hope not!), 45k is what I'm estimating on the metro/1900

What sucks is my regional buddies will catch up at my 2 year mark at AMF and I'm second guessing if it was worth it. I'm at a point where I just can't accept that first year pay, and it appears the joke is on us freight guys that were looking for a short cut. Glass/FMS/jet time are things you don't get over here.

OT, I'd say that you should ONLY have your sights set on regionals that pay well. Air Wisconsin seems to have the best pay/contract. 45ish(net) second year is not hard to get. The over achievers can pull in 60.

TDY assignments help too! :) That's an extra 245 a week. I'm in the same boat as z987k. We didn't go to the regionals.

UND flight instruction: 17k semi fulltime
Free lance: 30k
Aerial survey: 88k
Flight Express: 54k
Ameriflight: Estimating 35k( :rolleyes: ) if I stay on the 9X9 for a year(god I hope not!), 45k is what I'm estimating on the metro/1900

What sucks is my regional buddies will catch up at my 2 year mark at AMF and I'm second guessing if it was worth it. I'm at a point where I just can't accept that first year pay, and it appears the joke is on us freight guys that were looking for a short cut. Glass/FMS/jet time are things you don't get over here.

OT, I'd say that you should ONLY have your sights set on regionals that pay well. Air Wisconsin seems to have the best pay/contract. 45ish(net) second year is not hard to get. The over achievers can pull in 60.
I don't think it's going to matter near as much as the networking connections you make. You have to remember you are so much more than your logbook. Did I tell you my current employer told me to leave the logbook at home for the interview? In fact the only interview I've ever been to where they even looked at it was AMF, and then they just wanted to make sure I had the 135 mins.

I don't think it's going to matter near as much as the networking connections you make. You have to remember you are so much more than your logbook. Did I tell you my current employer told me to leave the logbook at home for the interview? In fact the only interview I've ever been to where they even looked at it was AMF, and then they just wanted to make sure I had the 135 mins.

That is true, but I think you know the kind of job I'm going to push for after AMF. I'm just not convinced it's going to work at this point. Networking may work out, hoping it does.

I've been giving sightseeing PA's during flight and then I wait by the cabin door with a tip jar at the end.

Back