How do you fly when you’re broke?

captainphil

I wouldn’t quite say I’m broke, but let’s just say if I want to stay consistent with my training, I need to fly more than I am right now. I’ve applied to many scholarships (got one), taken out many loans (don’t want to owe my soul). Me and my friends are talking about splitting time but our schedules don’t allow us to as often as I’d like. I just turned 34 and not getting any younger. Want to get my commercial certificate sooner rather than later. What are some ways you guys could suggest or recommend that would help me get these hours? I’ve looked into the Delta propel Program and the republic airways cadet program but it seems each program still requires a loan. Any feedback would be greatly beneficial! Thanks.

Not really many free lunches to be handed out anymore, unless you can somehow transform yourself into a teenage girl with a sad backstory. I used to fly about 50 hours a year - looking at my logbook, I'm 23 the past 12-months - a testament to flying getting more expensive, but my budget for it staying the same.

I'd say purchasing a cheap(er) LSA or experimental and flying it at close to Vso until you get the hours is about the best you can probably do. If I was set on building flight time cheaply, I'd probably pick up an older model Kitfox or something and do that.

Want to get my commercial certificate sooner rather than later. What are some ways you guys could suggest or recommend that would help me get these hours? I’ve looked into the Delta propel Program and the republic airways cadet program but it seems each program still requires a loan. Any feedback would be greatly beneficial! Thanks.

I flew a lot at a glider club, and did commercial/CFI in a glider first. Adding the same power ratings later is generally easier, I added C-ASEL/CFI-A in a few weeks and not many hours. You can end up flying a tow plane after getting a glider rating as well. Fast way to 1500 hours? No. Good path to CFI? Possibly. Most clubs would train every member to CFI if they could.

Compared to what a piston single rents for, gliders are a bargain and more fun to fly.

Not really many free lunches to be handed out anymore, unless you can somehow transform yourself into a teenage girl with a sad backstory. I used to fly about 50 hours a year - looking at my logbook, I'm 23 the past 12-months - a testament to flying getting more expensive, but my budget for it staying the same.

When you subtract dual given, even less than that for me. And I own a plane.

I flew a lot at a glider club, and did commercial/CFI in a glider first. Adding the same power ratings later is generally easier, I added C-ASEL/CFI-A in a few weeks and not many hours. You can end up flying a tow plane after getting a glider rating as well. Fast way to 1500 hours? No. Good path to CFI? Possibly. Most clubs would train every member to CFI if they could.

Compared to what a piston single rents for, gliders are a bargain and more fun to fly.
May consider that thank you!

I wouldn’t quite say I’m broke, but let’s just say if I want to stay consistent with my training, I need to fly more than I am right now. I’ve applied to many scholarships (got one), taken out many loans (don’t want to owe my soul). Me and my friends are talking about splitting time but our schedules don’t allow us to as often as I’d like. I just turned 34 and not getting any younger. Want to get my commercial certificate sooner rather than later. What are some ways you guys could suggest or recommend that would help me get these hours? I’ve looked into the Delta propel Program and the republic airways cadet program but it seems each program still requires a loan. Any feedback would be greatly beneficial! Thanks.
Back in 2015 you were working on your commercial certificate and had decided against the airline route. What have you been doing since and where are you at in your training?

A decade ago, you had 250 hours and were working on your commercial.

I hate to be terse but it doesn’t really look like you want to be a commercial pilot, or you made life decisions that derailed your plans.

A related story:

Recently, I met a 23 year old kid that wants to be a commercial pilot. He was an x-ray tech (two year degree) that was working lucrative contract gigs across the country. He had his private and was flying 10 hours a month, out of pocket. He was also studying for his CT tech, as he said that he wants to be able to afford complex and multi-engine time.

This kid understood the assignment, don’t run out of money.

Last edited:

Like the others have said, this doesn't completely dovetail with your situation from 10 years ago, so I, too, am curious.

However, a lot changes in 10 years, so I'll assume good faith and that your priorities have changed and, perhaps, this is where your head is. Speaking from experience, this is not uncommon.

At 36, I had a PPL, and had been out of the cockpit for a couple of years. (Took a hiatus from JC, too, come to think of it.) It took some convincing to start grinding it out again, so I did, paying as I went, getting current again, then doing the IR, Commercial, Commercial SeaPlane (for fun), CFI, Multi, CFII and MEI, and I finally pulled the trigger last year and applied to (and was accepted at) a regional airline. I'm an airline pilot now after more than 25 years in tech.

And I'm 49. So....13 years from PPL to ATP.

It can and should be done faster, if you're thinking "I'm not getting any younger."

The two biggest things that kept me on a long timeline were these: First - I didn't really know what I wanted. I was thinking that professional aviation MIGHT be something I wanted, but wasn't sure for a while, and since I liked flying, training and pursuing ratings were something I'd need to do anyway. Might as well enjoy the journey while figuring it out. It really wasn't until one of my mentors died right after I started instructing that I had a painful sense of how short life was and I went full-throttle on training - but even then, it was part-time.

Second - there were sacrifices - mostly in lifestyle - that I was unwilling to make. My wife had just changed careers, and was both excited and happy about what she was doing, so I kept flying as a secondary priority so I could stay in the extant job with the associated income and keep us in a manner to which we were accustomed. To be fair, we could have made some changes earlier that would have accommodated us both but that was what we chose at the time. Decided to have our cake and eat it, so to speak, at the price of time. Even bought an airplane along the way and have had some excellent adventures and experiences.

Looking back - and Mrs. Killbilly would very likely agree - I would have moved sooner, faster, and with more commitment - right around 2018, had I quit the other gig, instructed full time and converted equity into cash to offset income, I would likely (can't know for sure) be employed at LEAST at an LCC with some seniority, and possibly even a Legacy/Major if the timing was right, able to make up that income shortfall more quickly. I wouldn't have had all of the experiences and might not have owned an airplane, but I'd be a lot closer to the destination. <shrug> Either way is fine, for me, honestly.

I tell you all of that to tell you that there is an opportunity cost, and only you can decide what is both possible AND desirable, but I will guarantee you that more things are possible than desirable.

So - you ask:
What are some ways you guys could suggest or recommend that would help me get these hours?

You get flight time by flying. So fly. Beagle mentioned gliders. I'd tell you to buy an airplane, fly the hell out of it and sell it, or get into a partnership and do same. If you don't have the financial wherewithal to do that, figure out what you CAN do - to live - and then borrow the least amount of money at the lowest rate you can - and fly. Worth noting that it's likely easier to finance an airplane than straight up training since it's a secured loan.

It depends on your tolerance for debt vs. lifestyle vs. timeline. Decide what you want and when, and then work backwards. Make a plan.

Back in 2015 you were working on your commercial certificate and had decided against the airline route. What have you been doing since and where are you at in your training?
It’s been a rough couple of years. Had a few medical issues that had to be fixed first before I could get my medical back and the rest is just financial, student loans, the pandemic, car loans, hospital bills. All of that money I wanted to put toward flying set me back tremendously. Now that the clouds have broken up I’m ready to get this done finally.

Last edited:
A decade ago, you had 250 hours and were working on your commercial.

I hate to be terse but it doesn’t really look like you want to be a commercial pilot, or you made life decisions that derailed your plans.

A related story:

Recently, I met a 23 year old kid that wants to be a commercial pilot. He was an x-ray tech (two year degree) that was working lucrative contract gigs across the country. He had his private and was flying 10 hours a month, out of pocket. He was also studying for his CT tech, as he said that he wants to be able to afford complex and multi-engine time.

This kid understood the assignment, don’t run out of money.
Unfortunately medical and financial for me.

Unfortunately medical and financial for me.

You’re a young man. I have had multiple careers after 34.

That said, some things that are possible aren’t prudent. Many folks can’t afford law school or med school. Many folks can’t afford flight training.

Good luck.

It’s been a rough couple of years. Had a few medical issues that had to be fixed first before I could get my medical back and the rest is just financial, student loans, the pandemic, car loans, hospital bills. All of that money I wanted to put toward flying set me back tremendously. Now that the clouds have broken up I’m ready to get this done finally.
That sucks man… good on ya for keeping at it though! Wish I had some advice pertaining to your question but I’m not up to speed on training financing. Good luck though!

That sucks man… good on ya for keeping at it though! Wish I had some advice pertaining to your question but I’m not up to speed on training financing. Good luck though!
Thank you, I’m exploring the propel program with delta since I work for them and also possibly looking into the republic airways cadet program seeing what it entails. Until then I will be shaking off lots of rust, start time building with friends and doing whatever it takes to reach the end game. Haven’t lost the spark but sometimes financially it can really make you feel like it’s not meant to be but I don’t like that kind of mindset. People have accomplished more with less so I want to think I still have a shot at this.

Thank you, I’m exploring the propel program with delta since I work for them and also possibly looking into the republic airways cadet program seeing what it entails. Until then I will be shaking off lots of rust, start time building with friends and doing whatever it takes to reach the end game. Haven’t lost the spark but sometimes financially it can really make you feel like it’s not meant to be but I don’t like that kind of mindset. People have accomplished more with less so I want to think I still have a shot at this.

Until Republic significantly revises or abolishes the utterly ridiculous contract they have, I would avoid them like the plague.

Back