How do you convince people to "go for it"

flyboy04

How do you convince people to \"go for it\"

Hey everyone ive got a question for yall. How do you convince someone how wants to learn how to fly, and has the money to just go for the license. I have a few friends who really want to learn, but they think its to technical and are intimidated by stuff. I would love one of them to at least take a few lesson so ill have a another pilot buddy to chat with, but i just cant convince them to do it. Any suggestions?

Re: How do you convince people to \"go for it\"

take em up! fly them over their house, school, old folks home, whatever.

Dont try and scare them and do make the ride as smooth as possible. early mornings would be good. bring a camera and let them fly for a few minutes.

Well I bought someone a Intro Flight Gift Certificate... that seemed to work
smile.gif

Ryan

Concentrate on the rewards of flying when you fly them... give them direct personal examples of flights you have taken and experiences you have had that you would not have had if you were not a pilot. Tell them how simple it really is, how all you need to to is simple mental math.

Then tell them to take an intro lesson at the flight school, set them up with a CFI, give them a price sheet and a training outline (if one is available), and some kind of positive flight training article out of a magazine. If this doesn't do it then I doubt they really wanted to be pilots to begin with.

[ QUOTE ]

Dont try and scare them and do make the ride as smooth as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't stress that enough!!! I have a friend that's a really great stick....flies well, and is an awesome instructor, but anytime he has a non-pilot in the airplane, he wants to impress them with steep turns and short field takeoffs and landings....not a good idea!!!

Anytime I have a non-flier with me in the aircraft, I keep all of my turns standard rate (if I can help it), and make as comfortable as I can. Most ground-bound folks have no interest in maximum performance takeoffs, or slips-to-landings from 3,000 feet on a 1/4 mile final.....that'll just scare them away!!!

tell them it'll take "road trip" to a whole new level!

No, seriously, I would side with the "get them in the air" theory. It's a rather inexpensive way to see if they really enjoy it or not.

Also, I'd suggest that you monitor closely the weather before you send your budding airman into it. Intro rides where the turbulance is kicking the snot out of you is not fun.

If you REALLY want to hook them, go for the dusk intro flight! Nothing like a sunset from a few thousand feet!

Paul

Make sure the weather is near perfect before you do an intro flight.

I agree with everyone on avoiding the show-off maneuvers as well. I decided to show my girlfriend the old zero gees trick. She screamed and grabbed me, which was nice, but now she won't go up in a small plane with me unless at gunpoint.

She still married me, though. Still trying to figure that one out.

Agreed on the good-wx comment:

My wife LOVED flying with me..... the first two times.... then we hit some thermals (she's stil calling it "violent turbulence"
wink.gif
) that wouldn't bother you or me, but to her .... well.... that was last September and she still hasn't gone back up with me and has no plans to.
frown.gif

So - yes - make sure the wx is near PERFECT.

R2F

Get them to go on a discovery flight. One of two things will happen. They'll either love it and want to do it again as much as possible, or they will hate it and will wonder what the hell they were thinking.

[ QUOTE ]
take em up! fly them over their house, school, old folks home, whatever.

Dont try and scare them and do make the ride as smooth as possible. early mornings would be good. bring a camera and let them fly for a few minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Timbuff: are you sitting in the cockpit of a Citation?

Take them up flying. Its like anything most people are timid about it until its done and then they get hooked. Once you are hooked its for life...

[ QUOTE ]
haha, nope! care to guess again?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna guess it's a Frontier A319 or A318...

Back