How do I become an Aviation Medical Examiner?

ktsai91

You know, sometimes I want to become an AME and hopefully try to change the rules of aviation medicine, especially in psychiatry. Sometimes, I want to make people's dream of flying come true. If I do plan to go to ERAU, are there any majors over there that specializes in psychiatry like Human Factors and Psychology for example? Do I need to go to medical school to become an AME?

I believe you have to be an MD or a DO. I don't think it matters what you specialize in, you could be a pediatrician, opthomalogist, OBGYN etc and still become an AME.

Sometimes, I want to make people's dream of flying come true.

Best way to do this is to become a flight instructor

As an AME you have to deny people from getting a medical and thus not being able to fly, even with a sport license. I don't want that responsibility as you can easily be the one to dash a person's dream to fly within 45 minutes.

You know, sometimes I want to become an AME and hopefully try to change the rules of aviation medicine, especially in psychiatry. Sometimes, I want to make people's dream of flying come true. If I do plan to go to ERAU, are there any majors over there that specializes in psychiatry like Human Factors and Psychology for example? Do I need to go to medical school to become an AME?

You must first be a physician (MD or DO), then when you are in practice you apply to the Regional Flight Surgeon for appointment as an AME. The number of AME's is limits in each geographic area so it may be quite some time before you are considered.

The other thing to know is that AME's do not make policy change, it is done at the level of the Federal Air Surgeon in Washington. AME's carry out the policies of the FAA as designated examiners. If the AME does not follow policy, they can have their designation removed by the Regional FLight Surgeon.

You must first be a physician (MD or DO), then when you are in practice you apply to the Regional Flight Surgeon for appointment as an AME. The number of AME's is limits in each geographic area so it may be quite some time before you are considered.

The other thing to know is that AME's do not make policy change, it is done at the level of the Federal Air Surgeon in Washington. AME's carry out the policies of the FAA as designated examiners. If the AME does not follow policy, they can have their designation removed by the Regional FLight Surgeon.

Just curious here, how does one go from AME to the level of a Federal Air Surgeon? Is it an appointed position or something aany AME can apply for?

It is an appointed position. One should have been employed within the FAA and then it becomes a combination of luck, politics, etc.:)

Back