How did you get to your current gig????

JA Yawd Bwoy

I would like to know what brought you to the current corporate gig you are at, as in How did you find out about it, what were you doing (job) at the time, how old were you, did it take a lot of networking, and etc. The reason why i ask is that looking at some of the photo's that Citationkid (Alex) and other charter/corporate pilots take makes me want to do the corporate gig before I move onto the Airlines or wherever my career brings me!:)

Hey JA,
In my case, I just knew a guy. I flew freight for a while, had pleanty of turbine ME time, and got lucky. Network as much as you can.
Good Luck!
PM me if you need anymore info.

I would like to know what brought you to the current corporate gig you are at, as in How did you find out about it, what were you doing (job) at the time, how old were you, did it take a lot of networking, and etc. The reason why i ask is that looking at some of the photo's that Citationkid (Alex) and other charter/corporate pilots take makes me want to do the corporate gig before I move onto the Airlines or wherever my career brings me!:)

Usually it's the other way around.

I just got lucky too. Knew someone with the money who was prepared to give me a chance. Hopefully next year we will upgrade to a turbine aircraft and I'll get typed in it.
Frankly nobody takes on low time guys in the corporate world unless they have an "in".

BP244

I was part 121. Got beat up quite a bit...commuters to LCCs to a major...multiple furloughs...back at the commuters.

One day I had an overnight in this town, met a corporate pilot for this department. He showed me around, took one of my resumes, I was invited to interview...and the rest was luck!

My current gig I got by the chief pilot at my last company made a phone call to my current company after he was forced to lay me off.

I originally "broke into" the charter world after flying freight and I had heard about the charter place and contact the chief pilot and told him I wanted to work for them but didn't have the flight time. I kept contact with the guy via email until I got the flight time they wanted.

I did the right seat program at SimuFlite. Met the right guy at the right time and the rest is history.

Corporate flying - aviations best kept secret.

Corporate flying - aviations best kept secret.

Just make sure the newbies know that just because you fly a corporate jet... does not make it a corporate job.

135, fractional, corporate -- all different animals.

And even within the "corporate" banner, jobs can run the gambit from single-plane owner/operators...to flight departments with 15+ aircraft and dozens of pilots.

That being said, I have to agree. Best kept secret.

Just make sure the newbies know that just because you fly a corporate jet... does not make it a corporate job.

135, fractional, corporate -- all different animals.

And even within the "corporate" banner, jobs can run the gambit from single-plane owner/operators...to flight departments with 15+ aircraft and dozens of pilots.

That being said, I have to agree. Best kept secret.

How about - Part 91 corporate flying - aviations best kept secret. :D

I agree though. Fortunately I've never had any other job, so I can't compare, but so far, this is my cup of tea.

quit a good paying job to work as a lineman as i finished my ratings because i heard it was all about who you know...and how true it was. Making that move has more then paid for itself. I wouldn't be close to an actual paying gig if I hadn't made this move.

Instructed for 3 years- last year was in the Boston area. Ended up working for one of my student's who decided to buy a Citation Bravo for personal/business use. Now I fly the Bravo for him and teach on the side in his DA-40... and he lets me take it just for fuel! Became a good friend, and I teach his kids on the side as well.

I love my job, defiantly lucky timing, but I am proud to be on the Corporate side, my experience so far has been nothing short of amazing.. Well worth holding out instructing for awhile and not running to the regionals. :nana2:

I put my year in with a Regional (before it tanked) and realized that today's 121 life was not for me. I was offered a job in the right seat of a kingair (for substantially more than I was earning at defunct regional) one thing lead to the other and I got my ATP and typed on 2 planes in the course of a year. 135 is a FANTASTIC opportunity to network while at the different FBO's.

My employer walked into the flight school I was freelancing at and within an hour of chatting about flying, I was offered the job.

Lesson:

In the aviation industry, you are currently being interviewed (formally or informally) at ALL times!!! You never know who the guy walking through the door is.....Be your best at all times!!!

I had been wanting to work at a particular 135 charter company in my town that flies Lears. I was flying Pt 135 freight in a Baron and had the flight time they wanted. Saw they were looking for FO's on climbto350.com and applied. Then followed up with a call to the chief pilot. Interviewed and was on my way to Bombardier DFW in two weeks for my Lear type. Company saw bad times and I was furloughed four months later.... Sent my resume to several companies in Florida that flew Lears and had positions posted on climbto350.com. Got a call from a management company that was looking for a Lear FO to fly for a Pt 91 owner and started two weeks later and thats where I am now. So basically you could say that climbto350.com worked for me.

Flight instructed for a couple years, flew 135 freight for a year and a half and built some quality time, saw a place I'd like to work for online and cold called & emailed my resume to them and had a job a month later. I didn't know anyone there but it came down to right time(they were hiring) and presenting oneself as an asset to the company.

Back