How did you catch “The Bug”?

My uncle flew for US Air at the time and had flown to a nearby airport. My mom took me to see him in the cockpit and I was floored by all the buttons and lights and gauges. I got to sit in the captains seat which terrified me for some reason. (I was 4) After that flying is all Ive ever wanted to do. I had an easel chalkboard as a kid and instead of drawing on the board like a normal kid I crawled under neath and drew gauges and buttons and switches like it was a little cockpit. I've been a nerd most of my life.

Dad flew for fun, as did many of his friends. Weekends were either flying or riding bikes to the airport to sit in hangars talking about flying. Neighbor owned a few planes too, first flight was in his Lake Renegade when I was four; I continued flying with him all my life and now I give him flight reviews in his T6. The bug's been here for as long as I can remember, though lately it seems everyone is trying to exterminate it.
I know the feeling, sir.

Hang in there. Stupid sappy adventure novels often state that it is darkest before the dawn...but there tends to be a lot of truth in that.

My dad’s a retired airline pilot and I grew up around planes in the PSA days. As a young kid I remember him practicing flows and memory items with paper cockpit posters.

What really made me decide that’s a I want to be an airline pilot? Riding in the jumpseat in a 737 with my father as captain on an entire leg (way pre 9/11 of course but still something only a senior captain would dream of doing). I remember mentioning after the flight that I was sure that’s what I wanted to do.

Fast forward a couple decades and I’ve been through several career changes but still have come back because it’s in my blood, heart, and soul.

I wanted to be a fighter pilot - red stars on the wings and all. Then the CCCP fell apart and grandpa talked me out of doing it for the breakaway republic we happened to be citizens of.
Been the WWII aviation geek all my life, flew most of if not all of the period sims on each and every theater. That lead to learning to fly to experimental aviation to GA procurement and sales to flying a 'Van part time to jets, charter and now airlines. Hobby gone weird in a way.

PS First flight on an airplane was in early nineties, Ukraine International Airlines 737-200 from Kiev to Frankfurt-am-Mein. I remember enjoying the view, but being concerned with the whole crashing and burning thing. These two aspects never really changed.

Last edited:
I grew up next to an apple orchard. The cropduster was a Stearman. Early in the mornings, when there was no wind, his first pass it would wake me up. I'd run outside to watch that plane make low spraying runs over my head and it was the coolest thing ever. I was 10. DDT was legal. Rest is history....

Last edited:
Flew jetBlue as a kid from OAK-BOS. I was so amazed it had DirecTV and I could watch college football for 5 hours. I had a pretty big imagination and like simulator games so shortly after I got a joystick and FSX. Learned how to fly with ILS approaches, FMS and ATC on the computer. Fell in love and figured if I could do this for hours on end on a computer, why not do it for the rest of my life? Did that until I graduated HS when I set off for college. The rest is history.

Still have a big spot in my heart for jetBlue if they ever call me. I fell in love with Boston on that trip and remember the day like it was yesterday. It would be a personal dream to fly an A320 for jetBlue and maybe do that OAK-BOS route!

Flew jetBlue as a kid from OAK-BOS. I was so amazed it had DirecTV and I could watch college football for 5 hours. I had a pretty big imagination and like simulator games so shortly after I got a joystick and FSX. Learned how to fly with ILS approaches, FMS and ATC on the computer. Fell in love and figured if I could do this for hours on end on a computer, why not do it for the rest of my life? Did that until I graduated HS when I set off for college. The rest is history.

Still have a big spot in my heart for jetBlue if they ever call me. I fell in love with Boston on that trip and remember the day like it was yesterday. It would be a personal dream to fly an A320 for jetBlue and maybe do that OAK-BOS route!
JetBlue?

In my day we flew Morris Air and liked it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

It wasn't Top Gun, but an equally half-cocked movie called The Final Countdown. The 2v2 dogfight sequence between 2 F-14s and 2 A6M Zeros caught my imagination. Top Gun came a little more than half a decade later which led me into the Navy, much to my parent's disappointment. I never spoke much to my parents after I commissioned in the Navy, because they said I was throwing my life away, because the military was for losers they said. Lots of parental pressure to do something useful, like be a doctor or lawyer or engineer or something.

Anyways, I didn't have a desire to fly until I took my first flying lesson my first year in the Navy. It was turbulent and bumpy and really noisy until it came down to disconnect from the towplane. I remember the instructor (sitting in the back seat behind me) telling me to pull the big red knob - which I really didnt want to do. I was terrified and so I reached up and pulled the big red knob. The turbulence, bumps, and wind noise went away, and there was nothing but silence and smooth air as the instructor banked right and turned away from the towplane. I went from I'm done - this is not for me to OMFG this is freaking awesome. I had lots of friends that thought I was crazy for getting into the air in something that didn't have an engine.

forward 10 years later, a civilian learjet we were working with in the SoCal oparea requested to do a flyby after finishing an exercise. I briefly had thoughts of saying "negative pattern is full" but I approved the flyby and let the bridge and the captain know. Stepped out of CIC and onto the bridge to watch. When I saw the guy come by below bridge height / at flight deck edge height, that's when I made the decision to resign my commission and spend my last year in the Navy doing an airplane add-on to my private glider certificate and getting all of the other certificates to get into a civilian aviation career.

Final Countdown was awesome! Well, OK, no, but it was certainly interesting to me as a kid. I loved it for the flying scenes as a kid and the Sci Fi aspect as an adult (the twist at the end took me some time to figure out)

My Dad was a mechanic for Usairways starting back in the Allegheny days. There's a love of machines and machinery that runs in the blood on both sides of the family, so I was probably already pre-disposed to it. I'm your average pilot, a 10 year old kid trapped in a 40 year old body now, I love shiny things that make noises. My mother claims there's gasoline in our blood. If I couldn't fly planes, I'd probably be a truck driver, bus driver, train engineer,etc. The whole ballet of transportation is fascinating, I'm not a 9-5 type of person.

My younger brother followed my Dads footsteps and became an A&P, getting on with Comair out of school and he was there for a few years before they closed the doors. He's now a tech on NASA's wind tunnel in CLE. He's way better at wrenching than I could ever be, though I do a fair amount of DIY.

My Dad would take us to the Usair Mx hangar when he could (even now, if I'm in the Mx hangar, I don't feel totally out of place). When PIT was busy, we'd sit out on the end of the 28's and watch planes land (there were more of them when I was little). My Dads barber from the time he was a kid until the barber died a about 10 years ago,set up shop at Allegheny County Airport (AGC). We'd get our hair cut and then watch planes for a bit.

But fixing planes always seemed like too much work. I knew I wanted to fly them. As I type this , there's a picture collage of 5 year old me in a kiddieland airplane ride, a picture of me in pilots costume my mother made (including an inflatable airplane pool float), another of me throwing a big styrofoam glider. The last picture is of me doing FO IOE in a Piedmont Dash 8 from HHH-CLT.

My only regret is I procrastinated on doing it. Didn't want to do school, didn't want to instruct. Wanted to do the Comair academy or Gulfstream, but then the bad connotations of that pushed me away. Did some other jobs; aircraft cleaner for Usairways, flight attendant for Shuttle America in the SAAB days. Did the ATOP program you see advertised and that rekindled my wanting to fly. About two years after that, around 25, I decided to go for the pilot thing. Finished a two year degree, finished commercial SEL. Went to American Flyers for CFI-CFII. Was lucky to get a job instructing at the school I'd done most of my ratings at.

My career after that has been interesting, more so than I wanted, but it is what it is. I'm currently at C5 as a newly minted E-145 captain after four years in the Dash. 10 year old me would be proud and though I know it's hard on my kids and wife when I'm not there, they're proud of me too.

I went to my 20th HS reunion two years ago and everyone I ran into was like "Wow, you're a pilot. You always wanted to do that!" We endless beat the "Living the Dream" to death as pilots, but whatever happens, I did get to live my dream. People who are selling insurance, running a chain of self-storage facilities, they didn't dream that.

All of us are here because we love aviation. This is a job that people don’t stick with if they truly don’t love it. The views out of the window, the challenges and the benefits we see at times can be trumped by the low pay, stressful commute or the debt some are staring at. During my low times or the times I would feel like this job may not be worth it. I would take a drive to NE Portland and just sit at the Approach end of 28R. When I would do that, it would bring me back to that young child staring up at the sky. My aviation geekiness would spool up and I’d head back home with a sense of motivation to get back on the horse. The reason is when I was a child, my grandparents lived just off the approach end of 29 in MSO. I would ride my bike to the fence line and watch Northwest, Delta, United and Horizon Air come in to land all day. It was like being in Disneyland for me, in fact when my parents took me to Disneyland I was more excited to fly on a plane than to go on space mountain lol.

Anyway, just thought I’d start this thread so you could share when your passion to be a pilot was sparked. Whether it was plane spotting, a family member who was a pilot, a plane ride as a child or the corny but popular movie Top Gun. Sometimes reaching back to those memories will help you get through some of the speed bumps in your climb up the career ladder and can help others as well by sharing why you love this job.

By a girl on a westpac, wait, wrong bug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't.

Tried some other stuff for a while before realizing that this gig pays way better and offers way more time off than anything else I had skills to do.

It's a fun job that I enjoy a lot (mostly) but can't say it was ever a bug.
Come on, i dont buy this. If you enjoy your job, then youve caught the bug (as corny as it sounds) at some point.

Last edited:
My first flight ever was at age 12. Boarded up an AA MD80 near the back row, and nearly panicked when I looked ahead and some nothing but rows of airplane seats. From RDU-DFW we went and connected on to a DC10 going to SEA. By the time we got there I had started to consider a career in aviation. No one in my family flew, but they were supportive. I had 3 USAir pilots in my neighborhood that I was able to toss questions to every once in awhile and cultivate my plan. Flightsim was an every day thing for me. I was full speed ahead up until the mid 2000's when the bug and the dream had faded. Now that the skies have cleared and industry health is back, the bug is back, and im often trying to convince my wife of the merits of getting our own plane.

Not sure I can pin an exact moment.
Maybe it was one of the flights to Florida to visit my grandparents, maybe it was one of the local airport pancake breakfasts, maybe it was visiting the Piper factory in VRB, maybe it was soloing an airplane in Swivel Chair Patrol, whatever it was, I’ve had the bug as long as I can remember.

Back