How are you paying for training?

Working here to save money. When I get enough I will be using loans and VA to pay for training. Using savings to supplement income as CFI. Also wife is working so we can keep insurance through her company.

I also have some skills of value in the nuclear power industry. I will go be a radiation sponge for a couple of months a year while working as CFI to supplement income.

I pay cash. I moved from Seattle to Portland, OR specifically so I take a good paying job with swing hours (so I can fly in the day) and training is much more affordable versus Seattle.

I don't have family obligations and have thought A LOT about the academy route but just can't justify racking up a bunch of debt. Sure I'd be "done" a lot sooner but I'm having an absolute blast and just enjoying the journey. It will be difficult for me to accrue much multi but may consider some PFT with Ameriflight or something. Ya red flag I know.

I'm very grateful to be insured on a friend's One Filthy to get me to that ever elusive 250. I'll I have to pay for is gas. Then I can get paid to fly!!!!

Other reasons for the non-academy route... I've been learning in hard IFR (anyone can fly on a nice day and it isn't going to be like that on the line), examiner fees are $175.00 (and most everything else is cheaper), my instructor rocks, I'll be able to teach where I'm training, and the family who owns and runs the place are really nice people.

I don't know if I'll go beyond instructing. Sitting reserve kinda puts a damper on being able to create additional income. Trying to be creative cause I can't live in poverty. One rating at a time.

[ QUOTE ]
There was an FO at my last airline who "danced" for flight training money. True story! And I don't mean ballet.

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
Male or female?

I was lucky enough to have parents pay for my PPL training and my instrument training. Now I'm working on building time for the commercial with money that I earn from working at K-Mart.

You know flying is truely what you love when you make a trip to the bank with your paycheck, finish filling out the deposit paperwork, then turn to your buddy and say, "OK, let's go flying shall we?"
wink.gif

I work at a restraunt and make about 50 dollars a day(I only work 3 hours a day) and I get a check every 2 weeks. When I graduate from college this december I will be off to start flying in January. My girlfriend is going to help out as well as the loans. She is a CPA.
Smokey......................................................................................

I do it all with good 'ole student loans....since I'm going to school and I qualify anyway, why not? I use my GI bill to pay for tuition, and my student loans to pay for flying!!!

Out of pocket. While I unfortunately live at home, I'm only 18, I have NO debt, and my days of working to fly are numbered.... with the commercial (under 6 months) and hence the CFI (under 24 months) in sight, soon my work will actually BE flying
grin.gif

Still it's depressing to think that I have to work around 15 hours after taxes for a single hour of dual
shocked.gif
crazy.gif
. Man if I didn't love this stuff so much I really would be insane...

Parents. They are paying for my University education right now. I have not started a single hour of flight training. Don't plan on doing so until I graduate and have the degree in one hand in case the other hand with flight training doesn't swing. Fast tracking uni, out in 2 years and straight into flight training! Can't do a PPL in the summer because my summer is shot with school courses
frown.gif

- Royale

Back