Hover taxi with wind

Flyinhigh728

Hey guys, I know there aren't as many heli pilots on here, but there are a few on here that I'd love to get a perspective from. I'm a fairly new PPL working on my commercial with about 70 hours. I feel pretty confident in my abilities in calm to moderate winds, but once it gets past that I've had a few moments where I question my abilities.

The other day I landed to the north with winds 300@19G25. I had to do a 180 degree pedal turn and taxi south back to the pad. I felt very uncomfortable with the tailwind and felt like I was running out of left pedal. I ended up doing a sideways hover taxi which still didn't feel great. I know every helicopter is different, but at what point would you be hesitant to turn your tail into the wind? What would you do if you weren't able to taxi with a tailwind but had to get back to the pad. Thanks.

Hey guys, I know there aren't as many heli pilots on here, but there are a few on here that I'd love to get a perspective from. I'm a fairly new PPL working on my commercial with about 70 hours. I feel pretty confident in my abilities in calm to moderate winds, but once it gets past that I've had a few moments where I question my abilities.

The other day I landed to the north with winds 300@19G25. I had to do a 180 degree pedal turn and taxi south back to the pad. I felt very uncomfortable with the tailwind and felt like I was running out of left pedal. I ended up doing a sideways hover taxi which still didn't feel great. I know every helicopter is different, but at what point would you be hesitant to turn your tail into the wind? What would you do if you weren't able to taxi with a tailwind but had to get back to the pad. Thanks.

Downwind taxiing a small helicopter can certainly be difficult. I commend your idea of taxiing sideways - shows you're thinking like a helicopter pilot instead of like an airplane pilot. ;) As you gain more hours and experience you'll get a much better feel for downwind taxiing. If you really couldn't get back to the pad (and hovering sideways wouldn't work), just do a present position take off and circle back to the pad.

Not a helicopter pilot, but would you be able to request a direct landing to the pad?

Normally that would be the best answer, but the school I fly at is an off airport location with power lines close to the South end of the pad. This means that an approach landing to the North must be made past the pad to clear the power lines.

Downwind taxiing a small helicopter can certainly be difficult. I commend your idea of taxiing sideways - shows you're thinking like a helicopter pilot instead of like an airplane pilot. ;) As you gain more hours and experience you'll get a much better feel for downwind taxiing. If you really couldn't get back to the pad (and hovering sideways wouldn't work), just do a present position take off and circle back to the pad.

Thanks for the advice. It's good to know that taxiing sideways was an acceptable method. I must admit I was a little discouraged after I couldn't turn the tail into the wind and feel comfortable with it. I'm sure that will change with more experience.

Only problem with a sideways taxi is ensuring you can clear your tail, as it's not trailing behind you obviously. Just takes a little extra SA. When you turn your tail into the wind, and start running out of aft cyclic, watch out. Also, try hover taxiing very low, about 1'-2', and that can help with managing the wind too.

Your tail rotor will be responsible for all yaw control at a hover and below about 40kts IAS.

That being said some aircraft have better tail rotor authority than others. If you are trainin,g I'm assuming your flying a Robinson. Robinson's have excellent TR authority as long as you don't let a rapid right yaw rate develop (like all helicopters). A Bell 206 for example doesn't have the greatest authority with that big vertical fin on the back. You have to get to know the aircraft you are flying and its limitations.

Also know your personal limitations. Just because you can fly in 25kt winds doesn't mean you should at your experience level. Or if you do, don't put yourself in a position where you will have to hover with a tailwind.

Thanks for all of the great advice. I do have personal minimums but I was caught off guard with a change in the weather that happened pretty quickly. I'm planning to fly with an instructor the next couple of windy days to get a better feel for it.

Getting comfortable with downwind taxiing will come with time and experience. Question: has your flight instructor taught you turning approaches? I ask because a lot of helicopter schools only ever seem to teach rectangular patterns to straight in landings, with little regard for a helicopter's innate ability to maneuver as it needs to get where it needs to go. Example for your wind (300 @ 19G25) and landing pad scenario: set up your approach flying westbound along the north side of the power lines. Trade ETL for ground effect with a 30 degree right pedal turn to face into the wind for touchdown. Your escape is still into the wind if you need it and your approach still gets the majority of a headwind versus crosswind.

Normally that would be the best answer, but the school I fly at is an off airport location with power lines close to the South end of the pad. This means that an approach landing to the North must be made past the pad to clear the power lines.

Are you flying out of Horizon?

Alex.

Getting comfortable with downwind taxiing will come with time and experience. Question: has your flight instructor taught you turning approaches? I ask because a lot of helicopter schools only ever seem to teach rectangular patterns to straight in landings, with little regard for a helicopter's innate ability to maneuver as it needs to get where it needs to go. Example for your wind (300 @ 19G25) and landing pad scenario: set up your approach flying westbound along the north side of the power lines. Trade ETL for ground effect with a 30 degree right pedal turn to face into the wind for touchdown. Your escape is still into the wind if you need it and your approach still gets the majority of a headwind versus crosswind.

Thanks for the reply. Like you said, I'm sure with experience I will feel much more comfortable with it. That sounds like a very good method as well that I will have to work on. It's good to hear how things are done in the real world, as opposed to the training environment. Luckily the school I'm flying at is very good about teaching these types of operations as well.

I don't have time right now, granted I only live a few miles down Old Baltimore Pike. It is on my list of things to do when life slows down.

My dad taught Harry to fly...I spent a good amount of time as a baby in my car seat in the back of the Jetranger.

Alex.

I don't have time right now, granted I only live a few miles down Old Baltimore Pike. It is on my list of things to do when life slows down.

My dad taught Harry to fly...I spent a good amount of time as a baby in my car seat in the back of the Jetranger.

Alex.
Well it's a good item to have on your list. It is definitely a whole different beast compared to fixed wing. Oh yes, I've heard many great stories from Harry about your dad and the State Police. I always love seeing the DSP 412 and 407's overhead going to Christiana.

Reactions: CK
Personally land to the north over the powerlines if that was the onIy obstruction and not to steep!

Back