Hours needed to rent a Seminole/Seneca

Sid

Hello,

Please could you let me know the amount of flight time required in the multi engine Seneca to rent one from anywhere. That's assuming you have your multi engine rating of course. What's the total time PIC or non PIC that's required on a multi engine a/c like the Seminole or Seneca before I can go to an FBO and rent one?

Sid.

it varies widely based on each operator's insurance requirements. When I was at FSA, you had to have completed their training from 0 time through commercial-multi just to rent a seminole to fly in vfr conditions. In order to go IFR, you needed another commercial-multi-instrument pilot or an instructor with you.

I also rented the seminole at sun aire and they wanted either 15 hours of dual with one of their instructors or 75 hours time in type. Either way they wanted 500 hours total time in order to rent. Generally speaking, renting a multi is a pain in the rear. The Seneca will be harder to rent because you can take more people in it and it has more power.

I used to own a Seneca that I leased back to a flying club. If I remember correct, my insurance required 250TT/50 complex/25 ME or 200TT/10 M&M. It was a pretty low hurdle, but even so, most people didn't rent the airplane for non-instruction flying. A few people did some cross-country work in it and I flew it a bunch, but otherwise probably 85% of the time was flight instruction. In general, it's pretty difficult to find a twin that you can rent solo, and those that are available have pretty high insurance requirements.

Why do you want to rent a twin? Assuming it's to build time, you might find a CFI who will just split time with you once you finish a check-out from that FBO. My current school doesn't have a twin, but we have a few instructors who are always up for splitting time on cross-country flights.

I belive both, Sun Jet and Paris (seminole and seneca), rent them if you have 50 on type. Down in the miami area you can rent some old birds for les money and hours.

There is a place at X26 that rents a seneca but don't no the mins.

I belive both, Sun Jet and Paris (seminole and seneca), rent them if you have 50 on type. Down in the miami area you can rent some old birds for les money and hours.

There is a place at X26 that rents a seneca but don't no the mins.

Yup, I know for sure Sun Aviation requires 50 hours and a check out with their instructor to rent. Not sure of the cost, If you have the 50 hour minimum requirement I suggest going down there and inquiring about it. Paris has the Seneca and, even though I go to Paris I'm not sure what the minimums are, or what the rental cost is over there.. I'll ask tomorrow when I go up for a lesson and get back to you...

Back